Saturday, August 7, 2021

#23 The Loneliest Girl - Princess Chelsea


Original release date: September 2018.

If I'd made the list after I'd listened to The Loneliest Girl very loud in the car as I drove back from London last week it would have placed a lot higher, partly because I'd forgotten how good it is but mostly because I didn't know how good it sounds loud. Listening to music while driving at speed is a singular experience, very different from listening while safely closeted indoors and listening at high volume changes everything, wherever you are.

Like most people, I imagine, my first exposure to Princess Chelsea was through the viral success of the video for her best-known number, The Cigarette Duet, which she sings with Jonathan Bree. That's not on this album, which is the only one of hers I own. I really should buy the others.


The track that got me to add The Loneliest Girl to my Amazon wishlist was the mesmeric I Love My Boyfriend. The combination of the girl-next-door looks, the kindergarten vocals and the nihilistic, amorality of the lyrics sold me hard. I'm such a sucker for lack of affect in a vocal.

The rest of the album is right up there with it. She has tonal dissonances the likes of Nick Cave can only dream of. Or maybe that's just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wider Two Column Modification courtesy of The Blogger Guide