Thursday, June 29, 2023

Secrets Of The Accounting Department

I suppose I ought to say something about the newly-announced expansion for Guild Wars 2. I can't say I'm itching to get started. I haven't really played the game since, what, January? About all I've done is log in to claim a few freebies from Amazon Prime.

There was an update a while back, I think. Maybe two? Content drops that would have been tagged Living World or Living Story at one point but now come coded as some kind of afterthought to the previous expansion, the name of which I can't quite remember. The Cantha one. I'm sure you know it.

There was a flurry of PR activity a while ago, ArenaNet offering the latest in a seemingly endless series of ideas on cadence. I struggle to think of another MMORPG I've played where so much time and energy has been spent discussing what updates ought to be called and how often they should appear. It's a discussion that began pretty much at launch back in 2012 and has continued, almost without pause, ever since.

I wrote about it at some length a month ago and I don't propose to go over the same ground again. I will say that back in May I certainly wasn't expecting the first new-style expansion to drop just three months later. I would have guessed November or December but the announced release date is August 22.

I guess we could have the trailer about now.

Not much to say about that, is there? It's ominous, alright. Listen to the thudding, doomy theme. Look at all that red and black. And what about that creepy, giant eye?

I will say the title is quite possibly the worst I've seen for an MMORPG expansion in a couple of decades: "Secrets of the Obscure". Clearly having been chosen purely on the grounds of sonority, it's both tautological and uninformative. It does sound good, though, I'll give it that. Until you think about it, anyway.

Thematically, SotO (Nice acronym. I'll give it that, too.) would have had me salivating eight or nine years ago, when I was deep into the lore of the game. Those were the days of heavy speculation over the import and significance of certain visible but inaccessible parts of Tyria, like the great wall, guarded by those irritating birds, or the floating mage tower that forms the focal point of the trailer.

Unfortunately, for me at least, those mysteries went stale long ago. I was curious then. I'm not now.

The most interesting thing for me is what all of this says about development cycles within the genre as a whole and GW2 in particular. It's becoming apparent that all of these imagined worlds - the successful ones, anyway - have life-cycles measured in decades, rather than the months or years that once would have seemed like a good run.

Like the adventures of comic-book heroes, the storylines of MMORPGs are turning into a responsilbility no one generation of creators can handle. If it isn't true already, it will be soon, that no-presently working on the games will have been there from the start. I'm wondering whether some of the games won't even still be around after everyone who was there at launch, players and developers both, has vanished, although I suspect most will wrap up when the last few original players pass away.

I'm beginning to learn that my own attention span for these things is finite. I don't not care yet, but I don't care as much as I once did and I can foresee the day when I won't care at all.

Do I care enough to buy this expansion? That's the pertinent question.

My immediate reaction, when I clicked through to check the price and found they wanted £21.99 for the Standard Edition was "Hell, no!" Reading the contents list, this doesn't look so much like an expansion as an extremely clever way of rebranding the Living World updates we used to get for free in a fashion that allows ANet to charge for them upfront.

Here's how they've done it. 

"A self-contained story with its own resolution will play out at launch. Later releases will seamlessly pick up where the launch arc concluded and tell the rest of the expansion's story. Additional features and updates across the game are planned for release every quarter."

I'm making an assumption that those "additional features and updates" will require a flag on your account confirming you bought the expansion. If so, that makes it almost literally the same format as the Living World once used, only active players used to get that for free and now they'll have to pay.

As for the rest of what's included, I'm not going to go over it all in the kind of detail I once would have done. If you're interested, it's all in the PR pack and Belghast has a very good analysis of the content. 

I'm more interested in picking out lines like this:

"The story of Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure will play out over installments, with new story content to look forward to at launch and in subsequent releases."

And this:

 "At launch, two new explorable zones will take you to the skies over Tyria; a new map will become available as the story progresses in future releases."

My emphasis.

Pay now, play later. You can't say they aren't being straight about it.


In my case I'm not playing at all, so I can afford to wait. Except, if I don't pre-order, I won't get 

"... an extravagant Arcane Spellweaver's Hat Skin, a weapon of your choice from the Eagle Eye weapon collection, and the Demon Hunter title."

Anet's emphasis. You can see where they want your eye to focus.

And I have to say... it works. There's a hat! It's hard to say to no to a free hat, even one you have to pay for.

So, yes, I might pre-order. Who knows? By the end of August I might be in the mood to go back. Twenty-two quid is a bit steep for what's on offer but it's not a lot in absolute terms. It's not like I'm going to be buying the Deluxe Edition at £43.99 or the Ultimate at £64.99. That would be crazy.

And there is one thing in the expansion that does interest me:

"Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure offers an updated path to unlocking your skyscale mount."

If by "updated" they mean easier and faster then they have my attention. It is described elsewhere in the Press Release as "streamlined", so I guess it will be quicker, at least. 

I don't actually want a Skyscale mount but it's been evident for a while now that all future content is likely to be designed on the assumption that every player has one. If you want to play anything but the oldest content these days you're all but obligated to have access to the key movement features - gliding, mounts and now the almost-flight of the Skyscale. 

The lunatic farrago required to get one fails my personal sanity test so definitively, I long ago decided that if it ever came to a choice between doing it or quitting the game I'd quit without looking back. I'll wait to see the details of the new path but if it's no worse than, say, getting the Griffin, I'll consider it.

I'll take my Arcane Spellweaver's Hat off to whoever at ANet finally figured out a way to monetize the content GW2 ,along with most other MMORPGs, have been giving away for years. I just hope it doesn't start a trend.

Based on the company's long-established inability to follow through or stick to a proposed course of action, I think that could be less of a risk than you might think.

7 comments:

  1. I find it interesting that GW2 has fallen for the "everybody gets a flying mount" that seems to insinuate itself into fantasy MMOs after a while. It is most definitely starting to feel like I'm the old man yelling "Get off my lawn!" when I tell people I don't need a flying mount to get around and if I absolutely have to have one I don't need an epic flying mount. Then again, IRL I drive a 25 year old car (a 1997 Honda Accord that simply keeps on truckin') when in my youth I was already planning on trading in cars when they crossed the 10 year mark, so I guess I'm predisposed to simply not want to spend my in-game gold on something I really don't need just to get around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm 100% in favor of flying mounts and have been since I first used one back in Vanguard. It's true they completely change the game but 100% for the better in my opinion. As an Explorer archetype, I find the freedom of three dimensions exhillarating and the aerial perspective allows me to see things in context. It also frequently dispenses with the tedious process of killing thngs when all I want to do is enjoy the view and take screenshots.

      I'm on board with the idea that you might have to complete a zone or area once without the mount because there is a lot to be gained (And seen.) by exploring at ground level but once you've done it you don't want to have to keep doing it. More importantly, though, once a game has flying mounts you can guarantee every developer from then on will design content on the assumption all players have and use them, so not having one ceases to become a preference and becomes a liability. If GW2 is going down the flying mount road it really has to make it a lot more reasonable to obtain one than the current ludicrously convoluted method.

      Delete
  2. I have always found the monetization strategy of GW2 bizarre. "Active" players who log in once every 3-6 months will unlock new Living World content for free. Meanwhile, new players or those returning from a break get to face an immense paywall. Is that not the opposite of traditional economic strategies? I understand that currently active players are the ones you get to display cash shop items to on a daily basis and that's what must fund the majority of ArenaNet revenue. But it still makes zero sense to me to create such friction for new/returning players in terms of unlocking older content - most of which ends up being required to understand the story (such as it is) or unlock certain things, e.g. the Skyscale, Return To [X] meta-achievements.

    So while I am traditionally on Team Consumer and decry any loss of Consumer Surplus... this change is basically OK in my book. Either these Living World releases are worth money or they are not.

    ...this opinion may or may not have been influenced by the fact that I had to purchase like 5-6 separate LW episodes when I came back to GW2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be a lot happier with the change if I believed for a moment it would mean bigger, better expansions with more content but it pretty clearly means the exact opposite. I agree the previous payment model was nuts but the player-friendly solution would have been to make the Living World content always free to all players, not to make everyone have to pay.

      The problem I see is that the amount of content ANEt have shown themselves capable of adding in a year of Living World is about the same (Or less.) than other MMORPGs I play routinely give away for free as updates. It was only ever the full expansions that seemed worth paying for. I was hoping they'd at least manage to package up a whole year's worth of LW-style content to sell as an annual expansion, followed by several free updates between that and the next. Instead it looks like we get much the same as before, which we now pay for, only minus any prospect of an actual two-or-three yearly expansion that would be worth the money.

      Maybe it'll be better than that but ten years of experience with the game suggests otherwise.

      Delete
  3. GW2 to me feels like it has entered the 'blood from a stone' phase of its life, where, at least to interest *me* back in any significant manner, I'd be looking for either a GW3 (although we all know the self-defeating nature of launching sequels to an MMO that is still carrying it's own weight), or at least an update significant enough that it isn't crying out 'life support'.

    I still haven't played or purchased the Cantha xpac, despite having fond memories of the Cantha adventure in GW1. Not to say I never will -- I was late coming to HoT as well, having played that much closer to the Desert xpac's release than HoT's own release.

    But the game is feeling (and looking) rather quite tired to me, which is a shame, as I think it hides a lot still to love as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was an opinion piece at MOP about the phases of MMORPG life - Eliot wrote it, I think - and while I didn't agree with all of it, one opinion I did share was that we don't have any really accurate way of describing the life-cycle. GW2 is a case in point: MOP likes to put GW2 in what it calls "the big five" Western MMOs which I find very unconvincing. It's a game a lot MOP writers and readers happen to like. It also appears to have a disproportionately large development team that seems to be staggeringly inefficient compared to much smaller teams on other titles, which I think crestes the illusion that the game is more significant in the marketplace than it probably is.

      I'm not sure I'd ay it's looking tired - it's always looked much like it does now. I just think it's more of a niche game than the press coverage it gets would have us believe. It's probably going to carry on roughly like it is now, being played by roughly the same people, for decades. Why would it stop? A lot og GW2 players used, me included, used to think it was past time for GW3 to be announced but i think the days of sequels are over. Now we're into an era of live service games tailored for a specific, existing audience and GW2 is right in the heart of it.

      Delete
  4. For players that play everyday and grind legendaries and achievements, it seems like a good expansion. (minor nitpick over the rune/relic system as someone that has 7 legendary runes and have them losing functionality, will see what Anet comes as compensation)

    The monetazion model is changing, but I believe it makes more sense then the ""we making expansions, we not making expansions, we making expansions" thingie.

    Smaller expansion, slightly cheaper, but every year.

    This seems to finally allow them to add interesting rewards like mount skins, as they seem to go with a "battle pass" system that is included with the expansion price (and is permanent).

    Will have to see the quality of the maps added for a definitive judgement.

    And easier skyscale with maps designed for skyscale. What they should have done to start with since mounts like the griffon/skyscale had no equal in the MMO industry when they were released.

    ReplyDelete

Wider Two Column Modification courtesy of The Blogger Guide