Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Same Same But Different


I was going to take (another) day off from posting because I was out for much of the day and I didn't have anything I particularly wanted to talk about but then I was idly scrolling through all the Amazon Prime Gaming and Steam games I haven't played (or installed) yet and I happened to notice two or three occurrences that looked like they might tie together into a quick post. So here we are.

It's something of a follow-on, thematically at least, from the post I wrote on Monday about playing the gaming field and not staying loyal to a single game, a topic and a concept I'm still mulling. With Solasta out of the way, I've been in search of a game to fill that pause-friendly, tactics-heavy, somewhat cerebral slot and I was browsing the possibilities to see if I already had something that would fit the bill or whether I'd need to find something to buy.

To forestall the inevitable suggestion, obviously the best choice would be Baldur's Gate 3 but I'm definitely not spending that much money. I may see if I can get someone to give it me for my birthday or Christmas although if there's one major downside to  digital distribution it's that it renders video games entirely unsuitable as gift recommendations for aging relatives. Until then it'll have to be something on a budget or preferably free.

While I was dithering, I took a side-turn and started playing Crowns and Pawns, a classic point & click adventure I bought on sale earlier this year. It ticks the pause and brain boxes but as I discovered, after an hour of mostly enjoyable puzzle-solving, it does absolutely nothing to scratch that tactical itch. I'll definitely keep on with it because it seems like a really good game - just not the game I'm looking for right now.

I also tried Shadowrun: Dragonfall, a tactical rpg I picked up at 90% off recently, which ought to have been exactly what I was after but very much wasn't. While it absolutely nailed the tactical elements as well as being fully pausable, it failed to engage my interest in either the characters or the plot. The minute size of the characters and the lack of anything much in the way of visual effects had the unfortunate effect of making the combat seem perfunctory, even though it probably has at least as much going on as the games I'm comparing it with unfavorably. I might give it another go but I suspect I won't.

With nothing meeting my exacting standards, I found myself idly scanning the news along the top of the Steam screen, which was where I was reminded of a couple of items I'd read earlier, along with some new news I hadn't seen before. Two games I'm kinda-sorta still playing are on the cusp of turning themselves inside out in the hope of attracting interest and players and it occurred to me that, if I wanted to see how that went, I'd probably have to start both of them over from the beginning.

Starting over seems to be a recurring theme just now. I wrote recently that I'm on hiatus from Once Human because I haven't quite decided if I want to start afresh on a Seasonal server, either right now or as soon as a different scenario becomes available. Now it seems I can add both Nightingale and New World to that decision tree.

I hadn't really considered the quasi-relaunch of New World, under the New World: Aeternum brand to be something that would necessitate a clean start. I suppose it doesn't, per se, but having read Tyler Edwards' piece on his experience of the press version of the upcoming beta it seems fairly clear that there's at least an opportunity to begin again anew.

The Nightingale marketing department, meanwhile, is urgently attempting to explain to worried punters that that the upcoming Realms Rebuilt update, a rewrite so extensive I have seen it described as a relaunch, will allow players to clone their current online characters to the offline version of the game. 

This, apparently, will take place in something called Legacy Mode, the explanation for engaging with which requires a very complicated FAQ, which I have skimmed but don't yet fully understand. It appears that as of tomorrow, when I next log into Nightingale, all my character slots will be empty but somehow I will be able to recover my "old" characters and play them offline, even if I haven't done anything to prepare for the wipe.


I have to say all of this came as a complete surprise to me. I didn't even realise the update constituted a full character wipe. If I was currently playing Nightingale I might have been a tad miffed. Since I'm not, though, I'm choosing to see it as an opportunity to start the game again from the beginning.

But is it an opportunity I want to take? I enjoyed both New World (Almost 250 hours played.) and Nightingale (Over 100.) but do I want to do it all over again, slightly differently? 

I certainly didn't get much value out of My Time At Sandrock, which I bought at a very early stage, while it was still in early development, then ended up hardly playing at all. I jumped on it because I'd really enjoyed My Time At Portia but it transpired that playing what turned out to be a very similar game (At least at that early stage of development.) didn't light the same fires.

Now I see that the My Time crew are trailing a Kickstarter for a third game in the series, My Time At Evershine and for no good reason whatsoever I find myself quite excited by the prospect all over again. I have at least learned my lesson. I won't be pledging or buying in to Early Access. Even so, when the game finally arrives in a full-featured, launch version, I wouldn't bet against me buying it anyway

A few years ago - okay quite a few years ago - starting over in games and playing through the same content only slightly differently was pretty much standard operating procedure for me. As my EQ25 series is more than amply demonstrating, I used to make a lot of characters in the same MMORPGs, especially when there were different starting areas.


Yeebo
posted today about the attraction of all those very different class stories in Star Wars: the Old Republic. I commented to say that the sheer number of stories had actually put me off the game and it did to an extent but I'm sure it would have the opposite effect had the game been around back in my EverQuest days. I'd have taken it as an opportunity to play lots of characters without having to go through the exact same content every time.

The question I'm asking myself, as I look at the revamps of New World and Nightingale and the possibility of a third My Time game, is whether I still find the prospect of rolling a new character in the same game as appealing as it once was. It's a question that applies, not equally but to a significant degree, to my search for a suitable replacement for the turn-based, tactical combat titles I'm craving.

To some extent, every return to a familiar genre or style of game could be said to be tantamount to playing the same content with a different skin. It's just a matter of degree. There's a considerable appeal to the familiar and the more I think about starting over, the more I remember how much I used to enjoy it.

Maybe I'll take the opportunity to see if any of that enjoyment is still there to be had. I could even give SW:tOR another run. 

Okay, let's not get carried away...

9 comments:

  1. For this next installment of My Time, I presume that Pathea will once again have Mint and Penny as recurring minor characters. My guess is that Evershine is going to be in the Northern part of the Free Cities territory, where the Free Cities want to expand as a buffer against the Duvos Empire.

    Like you, I intend to wait until it's fully released, but it is a good sign that the team continues to develop the game further. Now, if they could go back and improve the pathing engine in My Time at Portia...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lore in the series is quite interesting. I'd quite like to see a game that focused on it a lot more clearly. I also ought to actually play the second game so I can learn more about what happened and what's going on but I can't face all that busy-work. What seemed new and compelling in the first game somehow seemed stale and repetitive in the second but I suspect that's because I came in far too soon. It's probably a lot slicker and more satisfying by now.

      Delete
  2. I feel like this ties in nicely with Scopique's recent Too Much, Too Soon, Too Late post ( https://scopique.com/2024/09/06/too-much-too-soon-too-late/ ) where he wonders (at least this is my interpretation) if Early Access is turning us off games before they are even finished. Not because they are bad games, but because we're always looking for something new and going back to replay an Early Access game when it finally launches isn't always that appealing.

    For a long time I'd sworn off touching EA games but then I finally cracked. Now I kind of regret cracking and am trying to rebuild that wall.

    None of this applies to New World, of course, since that wasn't an EA game before this re-launch. I kind of think the NW relaunch is to try to build a new audience on the consoles and the PC is just coming along for the ride, but that's just a casual layman's take since I haven't really been following it. I did alpha test on Xbox but frankly if I was going to to back to New World it would definitely be on PC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that Early Access is doing just that what Scopique is positing, and it has also happened with games such as WoW. If anybody remembers the excessively long period of time for beta for Mists of Pandaria, too many people played the beta for too long so that when the expansion finally released the subscription numbers kind of plummeted after a few weeks of interest. It just seems that people expect Early Access to equal "complete game with a few bugs", when it more often means "beta test environment to generate interest in buying a copy of the game".

      I personally will wait until a game is out of Early Access, because I don't believe in being a free beta tester if the game is unfinished. There have been games that made it out of Early Access (such as Baldur's Gate 3), games that seem to be perpetually in Early Access (such as Valheim), and those whose Steam entries still says are in "Early Access" but have since been abandoned (Kerbal Space Program 2).

      (Of course, a game coming out of Early Access doesn't mean it isn't a dumpster fire either, such as Crossroads Inn. I followed updates on the game for quite a while, but once the game was released and was a hot buggy mess, the developer kind of just punted and left the game to its fate. It should be a game right up my alley, but... Nope, not gonna touch it.)

      Delete
    2. I think it's best to treat Early Access as the version of the game you're going to play. Waiting for launch is probably doable for single-player games or games that don't intend to become Live Service eventually but even then you're taking a risk if you really want to play the game because it may never reach Live status at all or if it does it may just be the EA build the developer no longer intends to complete.

      MMOs or any games that require other people to function, though, seem to be very unlikely to be better when they go Live, unless the EA period is a really short, focused one, equivalent to a final test. I think by the time those games leave EA, most of the potential audience will already have tried them and moved on. The chances of most of them establishing themselves as successful, long-running MMOs/live service games seems remote. If you're interested at all you might as well play during the period when the hype is at it's highest and that's likely to be at the earliest point the doors are thrown open, either Open Beta or EA.

      Delete
  3. I bight ShadowRun on kickstarter, and that was in the early days when teams felt obligated to actually deliver something. I have tried to get going in it several times. In theory I should love it. Turn based combat, a setting I adore (it has the same goofy sci fi meets fantasy charm as Star Wars), and in many ways an update to one of my fevorite games on the old Sega Genesis. I even posted about it when I found a cartridge in a pawn shop and bought a 100 year old Genesis on the spot so I could play it.

    But I can never seem to make it past the first hour. I am not sure at all what's off about it for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How close is it to the tabletop RPG? I've found that some tabletop games translate better than others to video games.

      Delete
    2. I was quite intereted in Shadowrun the RPG when it first appeared. I read the manual but I don't think I ever owned it. It must have been at someone's house...

      Delete
    3. It has been a really long time since I played tabeltop ShadowRun, but it follows it fairly closely from what I can recall. Certainly the race and class choices are pretty much exactly what I remember.

      Delete

Wider Two Column Modification courtesy of The Blogger Guide