Monday, September 2, 2024

Blaugust 2024: It's Not You, It's Me. Okay, It's A Little Bit You, Too...

 

Blaugust is over. Did I enjoy it? Well, that's an interesting question and one with no easy answer.

I certainly enjoyed writing my thirty-one posts although it was a trick done with smoke and mirrors. I didn't change my normal writing pattern at all. I wrote a post every day I didn't work, just the same as always. 

The only difference was, on the days I would otherwise have kept silent, I slotted in one of the EverQuest 25th Anniversary posts I'd already written. I had eleven completed in draft form when Blaugust began and I still have a couple left. I did have to do some final edits and add all the pictures, so they were finished during Blaugust itself, but that took a fraction of the time it would have taken me to complete a whole post so it didn't add any stress to my day at all.

Anyway, the writing is never the problem for me. I see quite a few people making the point that, while they don't necessarily enjoying writing, they do enjoy having written. I love both. After more than half a century of obsessively putting pen to paper, the act of writing is as natural as breathing to me now. I rarely have to think about it. I just do it.

I also have an unhealthy appreciation of my own work. Having written, I love to read it back to see what I said, which sometimes comes as a surprise to me. I usually re-read each of my own posts two or three times before starting on the next, just for the fun of hearing my voice in my head and marveling over how clever I've been or how well I've expressed myself. It really is obnoxious behavior. Just as well I never tell anyone about it.

The collective spirit of Blaugust.
All things considered, for me the challenge of writing every day for Blaugust is purely a challenge of organization and only that because of other obligations. When I retire, which is likely to happen before next Blaugust comes around, I don't anticipate I'll need to prep at all. I'll just write the posts each day as they come.

So, the writing I enjoyed. I also very much enjoyed the interactions that took place in the comment threads, both on this blog and on the others where I left comments of my own. About the only real contribution I made to the collective spirit of Blaugust were the comments I left on various blogs, but at least I didn't stint on those. I would have left even more, but...

Okay, since I've mentioned it now, I'll take this chance to say something about the whole comment process. Luckily, I've been over this in my head a lot already and also left some comments about comments here and there, so I've had time to let the blood settle. At one point, about halfway through Blaugust, this would have been a full-blown rant.

Here's the way I see it. Comments are an integral and essential part of the blogging experience. Readers need to be able to respond to what they've read and because the blog is a public entity, those responses also need to be public. Of course there can be separate and disparate conversations around the content of the post on other platforms and in other media but those do not, cannot and should not replace the public discourse that takes place on the blog itself.

In the early days of this year's Blaugust I found myself increasingly infuriated by an inability to leave comments on blogs I was reading. Some had comment systems that I just could not get to accept a comment even after multiple attempts, something that's becoming increasingly and distressingly common, even among blogs where I used to have no problems. Others had no comment option at all.

The worst, in terms of raising my blood pressure, were the blogs that suggested all responses should be sent by email or to a social media platform. This seems to me to be worse than not offering any means to respond, which at least suggests that no discourse is welcome or wanted. I can understand that, even if it does leave me feeling silenced.

A personal correspondence by email.
A personal correspondence by email, however satisfying it may be to both parties, is not an acceptable alternative to leaving a public comment anyone can read. When I comment on a blog it is not only to talk directly to the person who wrote the post but also to anyone else who read it or may read it in future.

As for moving the discussion to Bluesky or Mastodon or whatever platform the person behind the blog favors, I can't but see that as exclusionary. It makes an assumption that everyone who reads blogs is also active on social media or happy to become so. I don't believe this is true.

It's certainly not true for me. I never used Twitter and I don't plan on using any of its less well-known alternatives. This year, I didn't even enter the Blaugust Discord channel, which I have used in previous years, other than to link each day's post, which I do all year round anyway. I can cope with Discord as a pretty poor distributor of static information but as a means of holding any kind of coherent conversation it's beyond me.

At one point I was all ready to declare that blogs without comment sections would no longer be included in my blog roll but of course sod's law dictates that one of the most enjoyable new blogs I discovered through Blaugust this year has no comment section so I eventually softened a little on that. It still will be a factor in blogs I follow, though. It's just too irritating to be itching to post a comment and then find there's no way to scratch that itch.

Other than not being able to comment where and when I wanted, the other aspect of Blaugust that made it less enjoyable an experience for me this year than it has been in the past was the sheer scale of the event and particularly the way in which the catchment area has expanded far beyond the local hinterland surrounding the blogs I've been reading for years. The event has become successful and we all know what Morrissey said about that.

By the end of the first week
I was so overwhelmed
By the end of the first week I was so overwhelmed I felt I might be done with Blaugust altogether. And at that point I hadn't even added the second tranche of new entrants to my RSS feed, something I did finally get around to about half way through the month. 

Of course, the first week is the flood-point of Blaugust. Everyone posts, many of them every day. Since even the first seventy sign-ups included about forty that were new to me and since I already have a lot of blogs in Feedly that have nothing to do with Blaugust at all, I found most of the time I wasn't writing my own posts going to reading the posts of others. 

And that would be great - it is the whole point of Blaugust, after all - if it wasn't also for the fact that so many of the new blogs I was being introduced to were dedicated to topics and themes and subjects and hobbies and practices in which I just am not and most probably never will be interested. 

The irony there is that, were I to come up against many of those blogs in different circumstances, here and there, now and then, there's every chance that the engaging style of the writer or their enthusiasm for the subject might open my eyes to new possibilities or explain to me why something I find of no interest is of great interest to others. 

Instead, it turns out that getting a couple of dozen posts a day that drill down into the fine detail of unfamiliar topics, often very similar topics at that, is not the best way to engage my interest in any of them. It's counter-productive. And it's mostly my fault, although also partly the fault of the sheer success of this year's event itself, because having signed up to Blaugust I felt obligated to at least try to read everything anyone posted. 

And I could not. Which made me mad!

Luckily, before I really blew my stack in public on this one, Magi from Indiecator pointed out in a reply to a comment I left somewhere that it was, in fact, perfectly acceptable to pick and choose. You do not have to read every single post. You can pace yourself. Honestly, that had literally not occurred to me until then.

Having been given permission to stop, I did and things improved dramatically. From then on, I read all the blogs I knew I liked, including several excellent ones that were new to me this year. I won't list those for fear of upsetting anyone I leave out but some will be added to the blog roll and the rest will be staying in my Feedly.

I had time to play some games.
For the rest, I checked the post titles and maybe the first few lines to see if anything appealed. If nothing grabbed me immediately, I moved on. That way sanity was restored and I got enough of my day back that I had time to play some games so I'd have something to write about.

There was another thing that annoyed me this year, too. I am very much not on board with the whole Mainstream Bad/Indie Good narrative that seems to be developing. I already covered social media in that respect - I don't care if it's Musk or someone in a tin hut in Alaska behind it, I'm not interested, period. It's irksome to be constantly cajoled into signing up but I'm used to it and I can shake it off. 

What I am more concerned about is the demonisation of existing blogging platforms and the promoting of what seem to me to be significantly more exclusionary alternatives. I think I'm going to need to write a separate post on this some time but the tl:dr is that I am very firmly Team Blogger and for a specific reason: I do not want to be bothered with anything under the hood when I blog. 

To stretch the metaphor, I don't even want to have to change the oil and replace the bulbs. I want a super-easy platform that does absolutely as much as possible for me without me having to think about it at all. I want writing a blog to be as simple as putting pen to paper. 

I realize there exist those who enjoy making their own paper from trees they planted when they were but children, making their own ink from berries they gather in  the forest where they live and who breed their own geese for the purpose of whittling quills with which to set down their thoughts for posterity but I am not one of them.

To my mind, there are no blogging platforms that make the process as easy as it ought to be. They all already require considerably too much technical expertise and the last thing I believe we ought to be encouraging as a community are ways to make it even harder still. In my opinion, Blogger comes closest to being user-friendly for non-technical people but even it requires a lot more fiddling about with the settings and controls than it should. 

All the others are worse and doing it yourself from first principles is the worst of all. Or, of course, the best for all those people who are really interested in learning how the underlying code works, something I very much am not, although even on Blogger I sometimes find myself having to do more of it than I should.

I know I can do it if I have to.
I was interested once, back in the 'nineties, when I had to familiarize myself to a certain degree with HTML and other back-end processes just so I could put up a website about a band I liked because no-one else was doing it. Back then I did manage to code and maintain a website using that space every ISP used to give you to do what you wanted so I know I can do it if I have to. I just don't want to and at this distance in time I don't feel I should need to. If the existing blogging platforms are inadequate that should be the signal for other commercial providers to step in and serve the market effectively, not for the consumers to have to lean how to do it all for themselves.

Of course, as I said, a lot of people clearly enjoy it and welcome the chance to learn new skills or use those they already have. That's fine but if people are going to write about website design or coding, I'm unlikely to want to read about it unless they can also describe what they're doing as clearly and cogently and with such inclusiveness as Aywren or Tipa. Some of the posts I read at the beginning of Blaugust on the Indie Web phenomenon and related topics seemed quite the opposite of that and it got on my nerves.

Which, again, is fine. That's what nerves are for, to be got on. I bet my ramblings on obscure video games no-one plays got on their nerves, too, assuming they ever read any of them, something for which there is no evidence and which I find highly unlikely. 

We don't all have to like the same stuff and it can be good to be introduced to ideas and attitudes we don't share. Blaugust wasn't an exception there, either. I read things every day that get on my nerves but, as must be clear from the way my approach to gaming has changed, the older I get, the less sand I need in my joints. Where blogging is concerned, I prefer a nice, cosy chat around the fire with a few people who like some of the same things I do and if we all repeat ourselves and tell each other things we already know, so much the better.

All of that is my problem, not Blaugust's. And really I ought not to be surprised about feeling this way. I avoided joining in with Blaugust for a few years even after I knew it was there because I had an idea it would be a bit like this. Then I tried it and found it really wasn't, which was great.

But nothing stays the same forever, especially something as alive as Blaugust. The event has changed a great deal since I first engaged with it and that change will continue as it develops and grows. I'm not alone in having noticed something different this time, either.

From discussions I've already seen on comment threads here and there, quite a few people have had issues of their own , either with the structure of the event or their engagement with it this year. Plans are already being made for something different next time. I think that's both healthy and wise.

There was a moment this Blaugust when I thought I might not be back for next year's event but I'm happy to say that moment has passed. Instead, I'm going to rethink my own relationship with the event, what I want from it, what I expect from it, what I'm willing to give to it. Hopefully, that way I can come back in 2025 refreshed and ready for whatever next August brings.


*** Some notes on AI used in this post ***

This could seriously derail the whole thing but here goes anyway...

All the images in the body of the post were generated at NightCafe using Flux Schnell, the smaller, faster and, most importantly, cheaper version of Flux. I didn't change any of the settings other than the frame size so they're whatever the defaults might be. I didn't even look.

The prompts were phrases taken directly from the post as shown in the captions. The first result gave me the almost psychedelic image of all those people on laptops but the next gave me a photo-realistic image of a woman, which I didn't use. 

The 1960s one I didn't use.
After that I specified "line drawing" and "magazine illustration" for the rest, plus a decade. In order of appearance, the decades are 1950s, 1950s again, 1970s and 1940s. I think they look about right. I did generate one for the 1960s but although it was a really nice picture, it was just a head and shoulders drawing and it didn't really convey very much.

Whether the others do is a fascinating question. All the prompts are either abstract or very non-specific. I wanted to see what the AI would make of such limited information. I was very impressed with the results.

I think they all fit the brief to some degree, even for the most abstract of the prompts. The last one is the very embodiment of Ayn Rand's objectivist self-confidence. That said, certain key aspects have just been completely ignored, most notably any suggestion of "email" in the second picture. I suspect the "1950s" condition is responsible for that. If I'd left the date unspecified, I'm sure the woman would have been using a laptop or a PC.

While the general outcomes are impressively close to what I asked for, some of the details are troubling. I'd like to know why the woman with the typewriter has three clocks, two of which show the same time while the third shows something else. 

The details on the dice in the 1970s picture are off-kilter. One has two fours, the other a pattern of dots I have never seen on a die. The shag-pile carpet, playsuit and stereo system are all extremely seventies, though.

I did find it very interesting that every result, including the one I didn't use, features a single, white female. None of that was in the prompt but the consistency is hard to miss as are the implications. I suspect that might be mainly because the corpus of line drawn magazine illustrations from the 1940s through to the 1970s on which the model was originally trained would have been very heavily over-supplied with that exact demographic.


21 comments:

  1. "Luckily, before I really blew my stack in public on this one, Magi from Indiecator pointed out in a reply to a comment I left somewhere that it was, in fact, perfectly acceptable to pick and choose."

    I'm going to just come out and say it - I didn't even *try* to read it all this year. I hardly left any comments I would not have most likely left in any other month. I mostly interacted with the people I interact with the rest of the year.

    And I do think that has to do with the fact that this is no longer an event that most appeals to gaming bloggers - its reach has grown to all sorts of bloggers, and while that's fantastic, it did make it a bit harder - at least for me - to wade into the waters of other folks work, and I found myself putting far more energy into my own (not that you can tell!).

    I'm glad that you found a way to get through it without burning out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At one point I suggested in a comment that next year we might want to think about having categories or sections for different types of blog but now I've gained a bit more perspective I think that might be another unecessary complication. Instead, I'm going to work on my own approach to the whole thing and see if I can't just make myself comfortable with hanging out in the rooms I enjoy and leave others to hold their parties down the hall, where I can hear them enjoying themselves but not feel the need to go and join in.

      Delete
    2. Oh yes, lol. If I had to categorise myself I'd have to run and hide! Through August I blogged about: blogging, disability, video games (particularly WoW), AI, movies, and books. I wouldn't even know where to begin with categorising, I love the freedom to just write about what interests me and what's going on with me.

      Delete
  2. The past few months were already extremely tiring as it was, so, to be honest, I didn't even make the effort to read any of the new participants' posts.

    Which, I'm sure, made me miss out on some good stuff. On the other hand, I didn't even notice the prevalence of non-gaming topics Krikket and you described, so maybe it was for the best after all.

    A couple of years ago I've decided to stop doing stuff the moment I realize it's stressing me out, whether it's work or free time stuff. I've yet to regret that decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As every year, there were some gems but I'm glad I decided long before it all started that I wasn't going to add every single new Blaugustian to my blog roll as i have every other year. It's already ludicrously over-extended but there's a serious risk now of a signal-to-noise ratio problem if it fills up with blogs I don't actually read. I'm a lot happeier adding the ones I want to go on reading after the event and even then I'm only going to ad the ones that also seem to be roughly in the pop culture/gaming area. After all, I have a whole bunch of music blogs I follow on Feedly but I don't feel the need to add those to my blog roll, even though I do actually read them!

      Delete
  3. Gosh, I may have a response post for this I'm just worried I sound like an old man shaking his stake yelling at the youngsters for "doing it wrong." 😂

    But regardless, there was a little discussion on the Discord about the comments situation. I find it mighty strange as well. As I understand it, there are a few who find comments anxiety inducing due to the potential for bad actors, or exhausting, there are those who merely wish to write and share their words with others, and the rest I think would be happy to have comment systems but their means of blogging does not (currently) have a great way to make that happen so they've opted for their alternatives, or perhaps they just aren't used to comments being a thing as they came into blogging from a different direction to those of us who started with Blogger and Wordpress and LiveJournal. So I certainly understand where folk are coming from. But I also grew up in this blogging world being taught that leaving comments is great for bloggers, we want to foster discussion and community and show our support by sharing our own thoughts with the author! It's also a lovely way to let the blogger (and other readers) meet you, maybe find you elsewhere. And that was drilled into my brain for so many years that my habitual response to reading a blog post is to respond! So being unable to is super frustrating and if it has to be that way for some blogs, it will take some getting used to.

    As for the reading of posts? Yeah I gave up after a few days. It takes me a lot longer than most to read a post. I'm a slow reader, easily distracted, and reading on screens for any amount of time is increasingly difficult, exhausting, and literally headache inducing for me, so I had to start just picking and choosing what I read as I could. But I am happy I was able to check out some new folks and share some love with them through comments and whatnot.

    I think that the indieweb is a great movement, with some strange choices. As long as there isn't the implication that folk using bigger platforms are bad, I'm cool with it. I love seeing the creativity and how each person's website evolves over time. It's really neat to me. But if I start seeing disdain for the rest of us then my hackles may raise, I'm not down for people crapping on how others choose to do their thing when it isn't harming anybody. Similar to you, I chose hosted Wordpress because it's what I know, I want to be able to customise my site and make it my own, without too much effort. I don't know how to code, and I definitely don't have the energy to learn and faff about with much more than I already do. I briefly looked at Neocities because I love what Aywren has done with their site but I just could not code a full site these days.

    And I agree, we need more accessible platforms so that people can easily get into blogging and writing. There are a few, but there are always caveats and hurdles, whether monetary or it simply not being what we're looking for (ie. I wouldn't use bear blog because it's SO minimalistic and does not have a comment system).

    I'm glad you're still doing this event, for what it's worth. I only do it because I love our little community. I'm happy that it grows, though like you there are inclusions I have no interest in. And that's fine! I don't have to read them, and I didn't. Coding and the like will always go over my head, I have limited mental resources anyway. But I'm glad to have more bloggers in the fold. And even so, those who don't join in with Blaugust are still a part of the community I enjoy and will always keep my eye on. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At one point I was going to include a whole load of links in the post to other blogs and comments, key among which would have been your own, already much-linked, post about not failing Blaugust which, along with Naithin's post that referenced it, was instrumental in helping me rethink my own position. In the end, I went another way with all of that but your comment gives me the opportunity to say what a helpful post it was and thank you for it.

      There were a lot more things I left out of this post, which was already long enough, some of which I may come back to another time. I do want to write something about how I see my blog, which I think is different again from either the newer model or the one we've all been used to for so long. I actually came to blogging from a background in print zines and I'm quite surprised that I almost never (In fact quite possibly literally never...) see anyone else mentioning any experience whatsoever of zine culture. That was a time when a lot of contact with your readership happened face-to-face and the rest of it in the form of letters that came through the post, which you might then include in the next issue.

      I do bring a lot of that sensibility with me and it was a very good fit with the kind of blogging we've all been doing until very recently. The newer versions seem to me to have a lot less connection with either of those cultures and a lot more with others I'm not at all familiar with. There's clearly a significant generational element at play but I don't think it's just that. Some of it is more to do with cultures that don't necessarily have a lot in common with each other rubbing up against one another, which inevitably causes some friction.

      As for the Indieweb, like you I love the idea of it. It's the zealotry that sometimes seems to come along with the concept that disturbs me. It's a very familiar tone from music, comics, books, you name it and it never sits well with me. I suspect that outside of Blaugust it won't be much of an issue, though. We'll all mostly stay in or comfort zones and talk to the people we feel are at least a bit like us, which is how these things always go. If nothing else, this year has prepared me for next time - by when, of course, there will no doubt be a whole new set of unexpected consequences to deal with!

      Delete
    2. Awww, thank you!! I'm so flattered and glad that my post helped even one person. I kept seeing people on the Discord saying things along the lines of they felt they were going to or were failing at Blaugust and I just went nope, not on my watch. You can fail at the goals you set yourself, but Blaugust is so many things it just isn't possible to fail.

      That would be an incredibly interesting post! I do hope you do it at some point, I love hearing people's stories of such things.

      Aye that definitely makes sense. I think it may even boil down to writing for the community, and writing for the sake of writing. Very simplistic and generalising, of course, but the two communities definitely have different views of how best to handle community. It sure has been interesting to learn this particular lesson, at least!

      Delete
  4. It is curious coming into Blaugust as a 'newcomer' yet having been a blogger for over two decades. A lot of the things Bhagpuss describes as changes from previous events were just "well, that's the way this works I guess" for me.

    My aim each day was to check each new blog post that appeared in the #share-your-content channel on Discord. Note I didn't say 'read in depth': some just got a quick skim based on my interest level in the topic. And I somewhat accidentally didn't create a full RSS feed: I ultimately found the Discord was more 'enjoyable' to skim each morning as I also kept up with what the participants were chatting about.

    I'm one of the 'not talking much about games' Blaugust participants that Bhagpuss mentions. I can see that change in participant topic mix being challenging, but it seems like a good reason for being selective about spending time on those posts / blogs that are most interesting. I still think I'd skim a few posts from each blog at least once or twice even if it feels 'off topic' for my interests: many of the best posts I read during #Blaugust2024 were far outside my normal comfort zone.

    I felt that the whole blogs-without-comments thing was rather strange as well. Having been a blogger for many years, I've always greatly appreciated having interactions with my readers directly adjacent to my posts. But then I grew up with Wordpress, which gives a few really effective tools to help manage the negative parts of commenting: most notably, Akismet.

    Kids these days with their artisanal hand-rolled gluten free "rage against the machine" blogging platforms (kidding!) often have no mechanism at all to support comments. And if they do have comments then they have no good tools to manage the inevitable comment spam. I don't know if this is part of the 'Indieweb vibe' or what exactly, but it is definitely the thing that feels weirdest to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might not talk all that much about gaming but your blog sits very squarely in the "looks and reads exactly like the kind of blog I'm used to seeing" zone. I don't really think it's particularly the origins of Blaugust in the game-blog community that are at play so much as it that those blogs were largely started in a particular era of blogging and share similar structural constructs and similar conceptual expectations. I'd guess that most blogs on most topics that were created sometime around the early 2000s to the mid 20-teens looked and acted a lot like each other, while more recently-created blogs or blogs that have transferred to the newer platforms look substantively different.

      Personally, I like blogs that look like a page from a magazine. I never much liked the ones that looked like websites, which a while ago was quite a few of them. I actually prefer some of the new, minimal designs to that era except for this odd reluctance to allow comments. Then again, I am on record, repeatedly, as finding the comments on huge sites like YouTube to be very useful, informative, entertaining and a great means of communicating. I'm aware that's not a widely-held view, either but it has been my experience.

      I am very sympathetic to the anxiety that if you let just anyone comment, you're going to get some bad things left on your comment thread. It was one of the things I was most worried about when I was considering starting a blog. In a dozen years, three thousand posts and over six thousand comments, I think I might have seen maybe two that fell into the "unwelcome" category. That seems like a reasonable risk to take in the hope of encouraging a conversation that anyone can join in with.

      Delete
  5. I’m totally one of the sites being called out here, and I absolutely agree with you on most of these points! When the month began, I was taking comments/likes by way of social media with indieweb tech. Mostly that’s because since my site is made from scratch, that’s a much easier solution than building a whole other system. For what it’s worth, I too find comments to be a major part of the DNA of blogging, so I ended up giving up a couple weeks of posts in favor of building a comments system.

    I can’t speak for others, but in my case, my site is the way it is because it’s a work in progress. First saw the light of day earlier this year. That’s the main thing that drew me to Blaugust in the first place, a great community and a challenge geared toward improvement over perfection. I’m usually the sort that has a hard time doing anything unless it’s done right, so the encouragement to do something wrong now and fix it over time has been hugely helpful for me.

    Thanks for your thoughts! I look forward to reading more in a non-Blaugust setting! :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by to comment! I think you've really put your finger on at least half of the problem, which is that the current wave of DIY blogging makes it much harder than it used to be to include a comment thread even if that's what you'd like. It's obviously early days still so hopefully better options will become available as the whole scene develops.

      It's actually quite conceivable that those solutions could be better than the main comment systems we've been using for years, since most of those seem to be getting worse quite quickly. I have plenty of problems leaving comments on Wordpress blogs these days, in large part because I'm still hanging on to Firefox as my main browser instead of submitting to Chrome like almost every website expects.

      I personally ascribe very much to the "Bash it out now, tart it up later" school of design so I'd add my voice to those encouraging anyone not to let the perfect be the enemy of the perfectly fine for now!

      Delete
  6. Uh, where are the Redhead's legs? Or more precisely, what are the Redhead's legs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I looked at that for a while and couldn't quite figure out what's going on. She seems to have one very long leg and one shorter hoof kind of thing. I'm assuming she's some kind of mutant or possibly a visitor from another plane of existence.

      Delete
  7. I avoid AI, always thinking of the idea that gazing into the abyss causes the abyss to gaze at you. Even so! You had a picture of a cat at a desk that almost cracked me! Early on this Blaugust season I tried to look at all of the new blogs, but the list was unwieldy. If they had been predominantly about games it may not have seemed unwieldy at all. I always respond to comments on my blog, and if I comment somewhere and they don’t acknowledge my comment I’m unlikely to comment again. I enjoyed my month of writing, and am continuing. I need to redo my blog rolls and add some new ones blogs. I read yours and a couple of others every day, comments or no. Happy Blaugust, everyone. Atheren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Replying to comments is another troublesome area. I'm not at all sure if there's any widely accepted etiquette there. I respond to all comments except a few very short ones where it would seem weird to say anything in response. If I haven't responded it almost certainly means I didn't see the comment at all, which sometimes happens when people comment on older posts.

      Before I had a blog, I used to leave comments all over the place and I always looked for replies, which is why I started replying as soon as I had a blog of my own. Plenty of bloggers rarely reply, though, and most only reply when they actually have something to say in response, which I think is fair enough.

      Very pleased to hear you've had your blogging mojo refreshed by Blaugust, anyway. That's what it's there for!

      Delete
  8. Yes. To all of this. Except for possibly I didn't go into a lot (read: any) of the IndieWeb posts, and only became aware of this being a 'thing' by way of the Discord.

    I also, I think, took an even harder line on blogs without the ability to comment -- I basically didn't read them. There were a couple of exception articles, but when I saw a site with no means of communication it elicited a mental if not quite out loud groan, with at best a quick scan and a click off the site after.

    Unfair? Possibly.

    Does it say unflattering things about me that I view the ability to have my own say on someone else's blog so highly? ... Maybe. Let's not dwell on that one.

    But it's still the reaction I had regardless, and I'm going to argue because I at some core level absolutely agree with you on how fundamental it is to the blogging experience to have that level of discourse available.

    Anywho, I'm glad you've also found a way to make peace with Blaugust and enjoy it in a way that makes sense to you. :)

    Since deciding to make some changes for next year; I'm kinda excited for it to roll around again and test them out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My initial rsponse to the non-comment blogs was to skip them completely, too, Unfortunately - or fortunately, depending which way you look at it - by then I'd already read a couple of posts by Owls, who turned out to be one of the most enjoyable and readable new bloggers I've encountered in quite a while. It seemed a bit nuts to deprive myself of their amusing stories of tabletop campaigns, always one of my favorite reads, and the rest of their interesting posts, so I carried on with that one and that led me to give a couple of others a pass, too.

      I'm very much looking forward to seeing what you, Krikket, Jaedia and whoever else is involved come up with for next year.

      Delete
  9. It may sound sad, but as a non-participant I'm kind of glad Blaugust is over. I stopped looking up the new blogs years ago because there are so many now and about such varied topics that it's actual work to find the good stuff, which I'm not in the market for right now.

    However, what's more of a shame is the effect it has on blogs I follow and that usually post quite rarely. When someone goes from 0 to 100 so suddenly it becomes impossible to keep up and I'm sure I missed some good posts due to that. Plus you can largely forget about having comment conversations because nobody's going to look back at any post older than a day (or that's what it felt like to me anyway).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to recall a couple of non-participants making a similar point last year and quite a few of this year's Blaugustians made reference in their wrap-ups about not being pleased with the quality of some of their posts due to trying to hit that daily target.

      I think there's been more discussion this year about the underlying structure and purpose of the event than I've seen before and it looks like next year's event could be quite different. I'm definitely going to approach it in a new way. It's just too big and sprawling now for the old "Read all the things" approach.

      Delete
  10. I think with Blaugust it might be the opposite problem. It's not so much dying as growing faster than it knows how to manage. There were something like 60 new blogs this year and last year wasn't much different as i recall. I do note that some of last year's newcomers didn't come back this year, even though I know some of them are still blogging because I'm still reading them. I'd be interested in the year to year follow-on stats although not interested enough to do the grunt work of compiling them, obviously.

    I'm the same with signing up to new comment systems. For a while I was just letting Google do it for me but now that rarely seems to work. The whole thing is getting shoddier by the day.

    ReplyDelete

Wider Two Column Modification courtesy of The Blogger Guide