Thursday, July 22, 2021

Happy Place


I have absolutely no reason to post this other than someone whose blog I read posted it and I saw it there and it made me extremely happy so I wanted to pay it forward. If this doesn't cheer you up after a difficult day I have absolutely no idea what might.

It's called Chaise Longue and it's by Wet Leg. It's one of the best songs I've heard this year and it probably has the best video. I could get out the bullet points and explain exactly why that is, but no-one needs me to do that, right?

Oh, for heaven's sake... the bit where Hester looks up and says "What?" All the times Hester says "What?" and doesn't look up. The spot of sunlight on the tip of Rhian's nose. "Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?" The rocking horse. The dancing. The dancing on the rocking horse. The way it goes out of focus at the end. Just those for now and you're not getting bullet points.


This is who told me about it. Everything you most likely need to know is in the last paragraph but I'll summarise for you:

  • It's reminiscent of Ze Records house style, although more the much-missed Cristina than James White, to my way of thinking.
  • They're from the Isle of Wight (with all that implies, I'm sure)
  • This is their first and only video.

So much for the no bullet point rule.

There's not much else to know. They have a web site with almost nothing on it. There's a page on their record company's web site, that has scarcely any more, although I did learn from there that, yes, they are a duo (the few live clips on YouTube show a band of four) and their names are Rhian Teasdale and Hester Chambers.

The band's local paper, the Isle of Wight County Press, printed an article about them that has more information. It links them to another band I've never heard of, Plastic Mermaids, who would appear to be some kind of Isle of Wight supergroup of a quarter of a century's standing, at least. It explains why several tracks by a band of that name appeared in the YouTube suggestions when I was watching the video. I was wondering.

The article also claims that "Chaise Longue is the first of a string of releases planned by the band this year", something I fervently hope to be true but fear, from bitter past experience, will not be.

Then, if you'd been responsible for something this perfect, wouldn't you feel you'd done enough?

4 comments:

  1. That was a delightful video, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great song. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a bonus, maybe this will teach a few Americans they don't have to Anglicize (Americanize?) a certain piece of furniture.

      Delete
    2. What would you even call it? The Long Chair?

      Delete

Wider Two Column Modification courtesy of The Blogger Guide