Friday, October 2, 2015

Pink Pet Parade : GW2

What with all the focus on CHALLENGE and DIFFICULTY and RAIDING and ENDGAME it never occurred to me that among the new ranger-tameable pets in Heart of Thorns there'd be anything like this.

I don't have either the time or the inclination to log into the final HoT beta that began tonight but in our brave new world of pre-expansion GW2 you don't need to log into beta - beta logs into you. There we were, minding our own business waiting for Rooba and the C.L.E.A.N. 5000 to go through their vaudeville routine for the n-thousandth time when this apparition appeared.

It identified as some kind of Juvenile animal, marking it as a ranger pet, but I was so taken aback I missed the exact name and by the time I'd finished posing next to it for screenshots and switched the UI back on, the ranger (that's her with the wings) had amusingly renamed the creature "I Love Asuras", thereby overwriting the species tag.

The pink fluffy *thing* scurries about like a cross between a bunny-rabbit and a hamster and occasionally rears up on its hind legs and peers goofily to the left and then the right. What the heck it's meant to be I have no idea but dignified it certainly isn't. Scary, yes, but not in a good way.

The announced list of ranger pets included fearsome beasts like wyverns, dinosaurs and tigers. No-one mentioned anything like this. Unless that is what Tyrian dinosaurs look like. There is a theory currently in vogue that dinosaurs were brightly colored with feathers but I don't think hot pink fuzz was quite what the proposers of that concept had in mind.

Makes you wonder what else might be out there. doesn't it?


4 comments:

  1. That one is the bristleback, and it is indeed one of the new dino's. Though they aren't usually this....pink

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unintentionally giant bristlebacks are even cuter!

    https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3n9kbz/apparently_the_new_bristleback_ranger_pet_can/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw a couple of those at The Maw and Jormag just before I went on holiday. I completely agree with the reddit commenter who says "All the fun stuff turns out to be a bug". Just happy I got to see it before they "fixed" it.

      Delete

Wider Two Column Modification courtesy of The Blogger Guide