Sunday, September 8, 2024

#9 - Maggottypie - Born 5 May 2000 - 17 days 11 hours

First of all, doesn't he look great? No-one would have to tell you he's a magic-user. He really looks the part. He also looks pretty darn scary with that austere expression and those eyebrows. How many people's eyebrows turn grey before their hair does? Unless maybe he dyes it...

And look at what he's holding. Some kind of voodoo doll in his left hand and a serrated dagger in the right. A jagged blade says you're serious about gutting your enemies. Those things are banned for a reason.

All of which goes to show just how misleading looks can be. Maggottypie was always one of my sweeter characters despite his forbidding appearance and frankly disturbing name.

Ah, yes, the name... At the time I chose it I was under the impression it was a relatively familiar folk term for a magpie. I'd seen it in Shakespeare and quite possibly in Pratchett but I also thought I'd heard my grandmother use it.

No-one else seemed to have come across it. Certainly no-one playing EverQuest in 2000. I got a few comments about it, mostly along the line of wouldn't it look better on a Necro? Googling it now, I see the actual Shakespearian expression is maggot-pie, which is even worse. Lucky I didn't go with that. I think I wanted to but couldn't because EQ doesn't allow punctuation in character names.

Maggotty, as everyone called him ("Everyone" being Mrs Bhagpuss and one or two others.) is a Magician. Not a Mage, as I confess I have fallen into the habit of calling the class these days. Back then, people would happily correct you if you used the shortened version of the name. I think it might have had something to do with another game using the term, although I was never really sure just why some people disliked it so much.

At that time, EverQuest had two classes that could summon "pets": Necromancers and Magicians. In theory, this made them more suitable for soloing since, in effect, there were two of you. One of the two wasn't very proactive and didn't have any initiative, sure, but then that could happen with any group.

Necromancers, however, were in direct competition with Bards for the Swiss Army Knife of Norrath title, whereas Magicians were very much a one-trick pony. Well, they were then. Now, not so much, as we'll find out later, when we get to #17.

I'd been soloing a Necromancer with some success, on and off, but I'd read a lot about how much more powerful a well-played Magician could be and by "powerful", what people generally meant was faster at killing stuff. Necros mostly employed damage over time spells to rot and poison things to death and DoTs, by absolute definition, take a while to do their wicked work.

Magicians, in contrast, deal their damage up front. They blow stuff up. Not as spectacularly as Wizards, the kings and queens of devestation, but quite spectacularly enough. Plus Magicians have the pet to take the hits while they're doing it, which is a crucial advantage.

Back-tracking for a moment, "pet" was what we called any creature you could either stand behind while a mob battered on it instead of you or any creature you could sic on a target like a (Very badly-trained.) attack dog. In these early days, both pet pathing and pet aggro were huge issues, particularly in dungeons. Misbehaving pets would frequently bring the entire contents of a wing or a floor back to an unprepared, soon to be extremely angry and mostly dead group. The Magician always got the blame even though there was often nothing much they could do to stop it.

It certainly put some groups off taking Magicians, who would often be asked to dismiss their pets if the group needed to move from its pull spot. Since summoning pets cost money in the form of reagents, having to re-summon several times in a session was not a trivial expense and no-one ever re-imbursed you for it the way they fell over themselves to give peridots to clerics for buffs. 

Non-summoning pet classes like Enchanters and Druids were even worse liabilities, since they had to make do with charming mobs. Charm spells had a tendency to break at inconvenient times, meaning their so-called pets could - and regularly did - turn around and try to kill their masters. Woe betide the group who suddenly found themselves having to deal with an enraged former pet mid-fight, especially one that had been buffed to the eyeballs by its erstwhile owner.

We may get to that in more detail when we meet my first Enchanter. For now, let's stick with the real pet classes, the ones who summoned their pets, loyal servants who would stay with them until death or dismissal and who would at least attempt to follow the orders they were given. 

At low levels, Necros got relatively weak skeleton pets that didn't do a lot of damage or take a lot of hits. They improved radically later on but it was a long slog to get to the good ones. Magicians, however, got great pets from the start, one for each of the traditional elements - Earth, Air, Fire and Water 

Their roles in a group were generally clear but the debate over which was best for soloing was furious. The easiest, safest option was Earth. The Earth elemental grabbed aggro and held on to it like velcro, not least because it kept casting Root on whatever it was fighting. It also had a ton of hit points and could take a real beating. 

Earth made a serviceable tank even in groups and solo it was like fighting from behind a wall. It could easily hold the mob's attention even while you nuked the stuffing out of it. The Earth Ele didn't hit very hard, so while using one made for a safe option, it could also feel slow.

Water was the all-rounder. It did more damage than Earth and healed itself so it was also quite robust but it wasn't quite as good at keeping the mob's attention and if it lost it, there was no Root to get it back. It was also immune to poison, which could be handy.

Fire did the most damage by far but had the lowest hit points and could often die before the mob did, leaving the Magician exposed. There was a technique for chain-summoning Fire Eles but it was both high risk and high maintenance. I never really got the hang of the rhythm required.

The Air elemental had the best chance of not being hit and also procced a stun fairly reliably, making it a decent option for tanking. It also did quite a lot more damage than Earth, about on a par with Water but not up to the standard of Fire. At higher levels, a lot of Magicians swore by Air for soloing and I eventually came to understand why.

All the elements had their advocates but Earth was by far the most common choice with players new to the class, even though quite a few guides recommended Water.  Air, as I said, was often the choice of more experienced Magicians and Fire was for the real high-rollers as well as being the first choice in groups, when the Magician had been hired to do DPS.

I mostly used Earth at first. After a while, following some guide or other, I tried Water, which I remember not going so well, although it was good for mobs like rattlesnakes which, without their poison attack, turned out to be pretty easy prey. Or maybe I was just better at hunting by then. I mean, you'd have to hope so.

After a while, though, I went back to Earth and stuck with it. I tried Air but Maggotty never really trusted it to keep mobs off him. I don't believe I really got to grips with the Air pet until I played my second Magician a few years later. Back in 2000 I wasn't in that much of a hurry anyway. I was a lot more concerned about not dying than scraping every last point of XP out of each session. Earth kept me safe so I was happy with that.

Other than summoning pets to fight for them, the thing Magicians were best at was playing Quartermaster and that seemed like it might be a good way to get groups. Everyone was always running out of something and Magicians could pull all kinds of stuff out of thin air, from food and drink to weapons and bags. In practice, though, most people I grouped with didn't want much of what I had to offer. The good stuff didn't come until quite a bit later.

Post Kunark, at high level Magicians also got a spell that made them very popular with groups hunting in far-flung places, which in Norrath is just about everywhere. Call of the Hero allows the Magician to summon a group member to them: just the thing when your tank leaves and their replacement is on the far side of the zone.

Needless to say, Maggotty never got to summon anybody. He didn't even get to the level where he could scribe the spell and anyway he rarely grouped. I did actually enjoy grouping as a Magician - it was just that no-one seemed all that keen to take one. Maybe that name put them off. 

Mostly I soloed him, always hoping to see the fast kills and easy xp Magicians were supposedly known for. It never appeared.

Instead, I either ended up spending to much time summoning new pets to replace the ones that had died or going so carefully, trying to make sure that didn't happen, that I hardly killed anything at all. In the early days, your pets would kill themselves if you crossed a zone line, too, so that was another limitation. 

I found playing a Magician a lot fiddlier than playing a Necro. There seemed to be far more reagents to cast the spells and a lot more set-up time in general. I didn't really mind re-summoning a skeleton. It was just a couple of bone chips and a rusty weapon. For a Magician it was a gem and maybe armor and weapons and there was a small random element to how powerful a summoned pet might be, which meant when I got one of the good ones I really didn't want to waste it.

I also found the summoned items annoying in that they were all No Rent, meaning they vanished forever when I logged out so next time I had to start all over again. Worst of all, the extreme reliance on the pet tended to counterbalance any advantage it gave.

And yet, despite all of that, my highest character today is a Magician and I wouldn't, from choice, play anything else now. But we'll get to her later. 

I remember Maggottypie fondly as a cheerful fellow, who rarely lost patience with what was quite often a difficult role. He was fun to play in small doses and on the rare occasions when he managed to get a group I could see why some people rated the class so highly. Maybe now I know how to play a Magician better than I did back then I ought to get him out for a run sometime. He deserves it.

3 comments:

  1. I’m amazed you remember so much about these characters. Then again, my Star Wars Galaxies characters could be written about by me in a similar fashion. They had lives they lived and people they knew. Maggotypie looks so much like Vizzini from the Princess Bride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Atheren, of course. Who else brings up Galaxies references at the drop of a hat.

      Delete
    2. I still have never watched The Princess Bride. I really should get on that. I googled Vizzini though and wow! Separated at birth! Princess Bride came out a dozen years before EQ, too. Wouldn't be a stretch to imagine someone used it for inspiration when designing the character models.

      Delete

Wider Two Column Modification courtesy of The Blogger Guide