Sunday, June 7, 2020

Catching Clouds: Yonder

I started playing My Time At Portia because Tobold mentioned it as an alternative to Animal Crossing: New Horizons for people who wanted something similar but more traditional. At the time, following the suggestion of Jen of Book of Jen, I was already playing Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp as my own alternative to not having a Switch.



Almost as soon as I began playing MTAP I was reminded of another game I'd bought, played and forgotten a few years back, Yonder: The Cloud Catcher. As I carried on playing I found I thought about that game more and more.

Last night I fired up Yonder for the first time in three years. As it was loading I read a little bit about it. Seems Yonder is now available for the Switch.

I played Yonder for an hour or so. It took me a while to get used to the slightly off-kilter controls and the floaty movement. After a while, though, I fell back into its comforting groove. It's a gentler, slower game than My Time At Portia. It might well be a better match for those who find Animal Crossing too formless but MTAP too rigid.

After a while I put down Yonder and picked up My Time At Portia again. I spent a good while there, looking at plans to expand my house and working out how to make some money to do that. I did a dungeon. There was fighting.


By the time I'd finished it was getting very late. When I went to bed, for the first time in what feels like a long while I didn't feel able to log into Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp. I wanted to but it was just too late.



Only a week ago I felt I might be running out of ideas for what to play. Now I can't fit everything in.
It looks as though I may be back at work by the end of the week. Something will have to give. I hope it's not Animal Crossing.

It's a pity Tobold couldn't have discovered My Time At Portia a month ago...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wider Two Column Modification courtesy of The Blogger Guide