Tuesday, June 28, 2022

When I'm 64.


This might just set a record for the shortest post I've ever written.

I just logged into EverQuest II. There'd been an update, as there is every Tuesday. The servers were up but there was a small patch so I clicked through to read the notes.

The top line reads "The EverQuest II client and server architecture have been updated to 64-bit with this update." I'd forgotten all about that.

As a long-serving mmorpg player, naturally I expected problems, issues, maybe even chaos. Nope. Nothing. Smooth as ice cream.

I couldn't really tell much difference but then I'm not really sure what improvements or benefits I'm supposed to be getting from the change in architecture. It did seem that my loading times, when the load was using data from the client, were very quick but then that was never much of a bottleneck for me. 

Where I get delays sometimes is in the parts where the server sends new zone data to the client. I don't think that has much to do with whether there are 32 bits or 64. It it seems the same as ever to me. 

I'll keep an eye on it when I do something a bit more challenging than setting my Overseer missions or  putting crafting mats into my storage depots. When the next holiday, Scorched Sky, arrives on Thursday, maybe the new dungeon or Public Quest, if there is one, might be a better test.

Anyway, I just thought I'd mention it. It's nice to see something go the way it's supposed to, for once. Credit where it's due - a big Well Done! to Daybreak and their engineers.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, I saw the notification come up for the 64-bit update and thought that there really wasn't a very loud run-up to it. On the one hand, it is kind of a big deal for the long term viability of the game. On the other, if done right, you just get parity between before and after. And they've done this with enough titles now that maybe it is a yawn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't logged into EverQuest since the 64-bit upgrade but I was thinking of it just yesterday and this morning I heard about the older game getting it's own version of Scorched Sky, which seems like a good reason to go take a look. I don't imagine I'll notice any difference from the move from 32-bit but we'll see.

      Delete

Wider Two Column Modification courtesy of The Blogger Guide