Joar of
MMO Casual
has a post up about tracking gaming hours. As I was saying
only the other day, it's not a thing I've ever done, or not with any precision or intent, at
least. I've always been happy enough with a rough estimate.
It used to be very easy, back when I was working something close to full time. I could add up evenings and weekends and come to something pretty close. Playing mostly one MMORPG at any given time made it easier to keep track, too.
Sidebar: I've actually not worked fully full-time for most of my life. I did two or three years of full-time work in the mid '80s, then maybe five years in the 90s and perhaps as many again in the twenty-aughts going into the teens. I did a longish stint of four days a week after that, all the way through until I got sick in 2019. That came close to being full time but it doesn't count if you think of a working week as a minimum of 35 hours across five days. Since the pandemic I've never done more than three days a week and now it's just two, which I count as being semi-retired.
Mostly, though, I've done all I could to avoid working full time. One of my life goals that I set myself, when I was still at school, was to work as little as possible and think I've made a fair go of it. And in about six weeks I won't be working at all, which was always the dream.
The less structured my days become, the harder it gets to be certain exactly what I've been doing. The days blur a little and run together, especially across a long, extended period of sunny, hot, dry weather as we've enjoyed this summer. So it did come as a bit of a shock to find I'd been playing a lot less than I thought.
I know a lot of people worry about how much time they're spending on games but I'm somewhat the opposite these days. I worry I'm not playing enough. I quite often don't even think of logging in to a game until quite late in the day and then, when I do, I often find myself feeling like I've been playing for long enough after what I can now see from the record is likely to be less than half an hour. That's incredibly lightweight. Barely even counts as casual gaming!
But then, I've never been one for really long sessions. Even when I was in the deep snows of my EverQuest obsession, it would have been rare for me to play for more than three hours at a stretch before taking a break. I'd never have needed GeForce Now's six-hour sessions, which would have seemed disturbingly generous to me even then.
Less than half an hour a day, though... that's disturbing. That suggests a drifting away. With the prospect of gaining two more free days in October, it seems like a poor time of life to be shedding interests and hobbies.
So, after I wrote that post, I gave myself a good talking to about not playing enough video games and I'm pleased to say it's had an immediate effect. The very next day I buckled down and finished the latest story episode in Neverness To Everness. That took me just over two hours (The whole thing took just over four.) There will, no doubt, be a post about that soon enough. It was very good.
That was in the afternoon. By evening, I was ready for more. But not more NTE. As I've said before, my main issue with the gacha games I've been playing is that the story is too good. Too intense. Too involving. Too emotionally demanding.
Whenever I play through a section of the story in one of these games, I feel very much as though I just watched a particularly immersive and powerful movie. I need time to process what I've just experienced and I need a break before I do it again. Obviously, the six-week cadence allows for recovery time more than adequately but equally obviously, the NTE story session put what might otherwise have been my first choice, Wuthering Waves, right off the table, as far as a same-day follow-up went.
But for that, Wuthering Waves would have been my preference because I really want to see that Edgerunners content. I'm almost up to it as a skip-forward but overall I'm way behind in the main storyline. I'd guess there's something like fifteen to twenty hours of narrative I need to catch up on. At the rate I'm able to handle it, that's going to take me a few weeks, even if I push my own limitations as far as they'll stretch and of course more story keeps coming all the time.
There's another limitation, too. One that's only started to affect me relatively recently and only since the games I play began to rely much more on fast mouse action for combat than the stately tab-target of the MMORPGs I played for so long.
It's not that the fights are hard. I'm very happy that combat in Neverness To Everness remains mostly unchallenging. Iused to say I'd prefer there was none at all but that's an exaggeration. I quite like there being some fighting. It breaks up the very frequent and very lengthy cut scenes and does quite a lot to add to the feeling of personal involvement that makes playing games a different experience from watching movies. If it was all cut scenes then there really would be no difference at all.
Hard fights, though, and especially fights that have to be repeated because they were too hard to beat in one attempt, have the exact opposite effect. I blame the terrible, abrasive, attritional, repetitive, wholly unwarranted boss fights in Guild Wars 2 for my eventual disenchantment with that game. Well, that and the story being consistently so very bad, something that made the interminable fights you had to go through to see it seem like a sadistic joke.
Neither NTE nor Wuthering Waves currently suffers from that kind of hubris.
The stories are great and the fights are fun. There are very few
"trash" fights and when they do pop up they're barely an
inconvenience. The set-piece boss fights, which are also well-spaced, are
exciting, explosive, visually stunning and, crucially, short.
Best of all, they're tuned to my extremely limited capabilities. I'm not a complete duffer. I do a little better than pure button-mashing but not much. And yet, I can't remember the last time I lost a boss fight in a story segment of either NTE or WW. They're that well-judged.
Not infrequently, as the player you don't even need to do all the work yourself. It's quite common for the fight to switch to a cut scene, when you've reduced the boss's health to, say, thirty per cent. Then you get to sit back and watch your character execute a series of stunning, balletic moves to bring the baddie down.
I really love that. It's so much better than doing it all myself and yet, because I've done the prep for it, it still feels satisfying. It also gives my wrist a chance to recover.
That's the real problem with combat in NTE and WW. I'm in my late sixties. My hands and wrists aren't really up to the kind of physical punishment they're getting from hammering the mouse buttons non-stop for minutes at a time in frenetic bursts across a couple of hours. After that last session in the Fogden, I was really feeling it.
So, for both physical and emotional reasons, an evening session in Wuthering Waves that same day was out. But those aren't the only two games I could have played. I have a raft of unplayed games on Steam, many of which are available to play on GeForce Now.
Let's see. Earlier this year I was playing Road 96 and Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Both of those are on GFN. I started afresh in Palworld when it launched officially a few weeks back. I bought Brok the Investigator, Kathy Rain 2 and Mutant Year Zero this year, with the intent of playing them immediately, and I haven't started any of them.
Going back further, I have unfinished games of My Time At Sandrock and Sable waiting to be picked back up. I was even playing The First Descendant for a while. All of those are on GeForce Now. Plenty of choice then. So what did I play?
New World. Or should I say New World Aeternum. Let's not forget the rebranding because that was so successful. Sure. Why not go back to a dead game walking? That makes sense.
But it worked. On Thursday evening I played New World for an hour and eighteen minutes, meaning I played video games for almost three and a half hours in one day. And then I played New World for another fifty-five minutes yesterday and we didn't even have the internet until lunch time.
Operation success, I guess, or so far at least. Now I just have to keep it up. And in that regard, I have to say New World is helping quite a lot. I want to go play it right now...
It's always been such a comfortable game. I've always been able just to log in and potter around and find things are getting done in a satisfying fashion without me really needing to plan anything.
Everything gives xp of some kind so you're always making progress. Nothing's very difficult unless you want it to be. You can spend a whole session not fighting anything and come away feeling you've been well entertained. And there's always something interesting to look at. It reminds me a lot of Black Desert Online in that respect.
(Hmm. I wonder if Black Desert's on Ge Force Now? I wouldn't mind playing some of that again and it might make a good alternative when New World goes away next year.)
I'm not that much of a goal-oriented player but I do like to have some vague plan in the background, just for the sake of structure. Last time I played New World, back in December, I was working on mount progression. From memory, I had to stop because the next part was in Nighthaven and you have to be Level 65 even to go there.
The first thing I noticed when I logged in was that there's double XP across the board. I'm guessing that's a permanent addition until the sunset. Since I hadn't played for months, I also had full rested XP, which, combined with that server bonus, put a x4 modifier on xp gain. That seemed like a gimme for getting to 65 so off I went.
First off, I went to Brimstone Sands which, at 63, seemed like it was level-appropriate. It was, but it was also a bit more like hard work than I was keen to get involved with, so I looked on the map for somewhere a little softer and came up with Great Cleave.
I don't remember a lot about Great Cleave and my suspicion is that that's because there didn't used to be a lot there to remember. As I was later to discover with Edengrove, quite a bit of content seems to have been added to New World since I played regularly. Both zones seem to have a lot more going on than I remember. I had no trouble picking up a slew of new quests, ones I didn't remember seeing before.
I roamed around the snowy mountains of Great Cleave, following quest markers, picking off the required mobs or opening the necessary chests as I came across them. The questing was fun, even if the quests themselves weren't.
I'd forgotten that every quest in New World is fully voiced. That's a place Amazon could have saved some money. The quality of the voice acting is, to put it politely, variable. As, for that matter, is the quality of the writing. Some, I read and listened to with pleasure. Others, I had to skip through as fast as possible. And I hardly ever skip quest dialog. It has to be pretty bad to make me feel bad for whoever had to read the words out loud. A couple of these were that bad.
The best of the bunch by a long way was a multi-part quest involving a woman who wanted me to find some bits and pieces for her so she could put them together to make a poppet that she thought might then turn into a real child. If this wasn't Aeternum I'd have assumed she was deranged but in that cursed place you can never be sure. Reality is malleable there.
The quest ended with nothing having happened but when my character expressed
disappointment that no child appeared, the woman said it was too early to tell
if it had worked and we'd just have to wait and see, which I thought was an
excellent conclusion. The quest may or may not continue at some point,
possibly with the spawn of some kind of devil-child but it'll work for me
whether it does or it doesn't.
A few quests and a lot of random slaughter along the way took me through 63 to 64 pretty handily. I logged out on Thursday evening half way through the level and the next evening I dinged 65. All quite painless and indeed quite enjoyable. New World is a weirdly cosy game for something that's probably situated somewhere in the horror genre.
Since the whole point of the exercise was to get to Nighthaven, before logging out for the night, I got on my horse and followed the twisty, winding, confusing sand-trails across Brimstone Sands to the unlikely border with the cold, dark forest next door. From there I cantered down the better-kept roads of the Mittel-European province to the main settlement, where I camped for the night.
I'm quite looking forward to getting back to find out what the story is there. And to carry on with whatever it was I was doing with those mounts back before Christmas. There are another five levels to the cap so I might time it so I only play while I have rested xp. The game has another six months or so to run so there's no hurry. I'd like to have a character at the cap when it goes.
Why? I don't know. So I've done it? So it feels complete? Closure?
No, not really. Mostly just to have a vague direction to be heading, I guess. I suppose I do need some kind of goal to keep me moving in the right direction after all. Otherwise I'm likely just to wander off and find something else to do instead.
As with all these returns to games I used to play, it's bound to be fleeting but that doesn't make any of those brief visits less than worthwhile. If nothing more, it's worth spending a little time with old friends who you know won't be around much longer.
Okay, that went a little darker than I was expecting. I'm just saying New World was always a fun diversion and that's not going to stop until the servers go down.
And it doesn't really feel like a dead game yet. There were plenty of people playing when I was on. A steady hum of conversation in general chat. People passing on the roads and doing things in the settlements. The Steam Charts have numbers holding steady at an average of around five hundred concurrent all year. There are MMORPGs that have been running twice, three times as long as New World that would be delighted with those numbers. It's a shame it has to go.
How long I'll keep playing while it's still around is anyone's guess. History suggests not much more than a week or two. But that should be enough to get me to 70.
After that, I'll probably be done.
My NTE experience is rapidly diverging from yours. I found the story content literally forgettable. Like I really don't remember what happened. Lots of random changes between areas that in themselves seemed random, lots of running in what felt like circles (the trips to Eibon). But in terms of narrative... I really can't recall. Something about taking something out of 'random level land' and it made Nanally better?
ReplyDeleteI think my brain kind of rejects the concept of just teleporting between disjointed zones and wants a more logical progression in terms of going from point A to point B to keep the narrative beats in order.
Outside of the story content, the boss fights you have to do for Ascension Materials are getting to be a nuisance for me. I feel like most of the combat now is dodging and waiting for cooldowns to cool down so I can get big hits in since my normal attacks barely tic the baddy's health bar. Fights still only last 4-5 minutes but by the end of one I, like you, am feeling it in my hands and have to take a break.
And I think I know why all this is. I get caught up in the drive towards progression and the game keeps scaling things up to keep fights challenging. But I don't look up guides and stuff to get my team good enough to quickly and efficiently handle the difficulty rising, so while I keep winning, winning takes longer and feels less exciting/satisfying. I've been trying to level up Chiz and that poor whale thing has been killed so many times by my squad. It's literally called the Sea Prisoner why do we have to keep killing it!!? [Though that one specifically doesn't suffer from all the above since it doesn't have the shield/stamina bar thingie you have to break.]
Compare that to Wuthering Waves where I've stopped worrying about progression and just play the story content. Things don't get more challenging, I don't have to fight the same boss fights 3 dozen times (to earn materials to Ascend multiple characters) and I find that all so much more enjoyable.
Clearly this is me being my own worst enemy!
Hmm. If you're playing WW in a way that's enjoyable, what's stopping you from doing the same in NTE? If it wasn't for you telling me about it, I wouldn't even have known about the boss fights for ascension materials. I've done one, I think, and that was by accident.
DeleteI'm always puzzled in both these games and MMORPGs about why people want to make their characters stronger and stronger when they've already reached the point where the interesting content is within their capability. Ever since I started playing, my take has always been that my characters need to be strong enough to do the content that interests me and preferably to do it easily. I'll do progression work to get to that point but when I get there, that's job done. Since that point seems to have been reached pretty much at character creation with NTE, all I've ever done is potter about and do the story when it's there to be done. I haven't done anything about weapons or those other buff things except stick something in the slot using the auto-select option. I haven't built a team other than to put in the characters I like. I would, and I will, if it ever becomes necessary but so far it's been fine.
As for the story itself, it is very psychedelic but then so is WW with all that stuff about frequencies and echoes. I don't tend to worry about that too much although I do find it quite intriguing. The whole Scarlet Letter storyline, though, with the sadistic "mother" manipulating her "children" so she could become immortal even at the expense of sacrificing them and the way Daffodil escaped and then went back to try and end the cycle, I found very affecting. I was very happy with the way Poinsette's story was resolved. I was hoping Eibon would take her in, the way they'd adopted Sakiri, Nanally and Edgar but BAC's solution was probably better.
And as you can see, I can remember the whole plot in detail. I could tell the story end to end I think, which is very much not the case for most video game plots. I'm also keen to see what's going on with Code Zero. The whole of the post-anomaly society seems to be teetering on the brink of disaster as far as I can see, with the agencies not really in control and the public blithely believing everything's fine when it's really on fire. How far they'll go with that will be interesting. Not to far, I'm guessing, but you never know...
"Hmm. If you're playing WW in a way that's enjoyable, what's stopping you from doing the same in NTE?"
DeleteWell interestingly I did the same thing in WW and then eventually quit it for months and months. Then when I came back I played it differently because there was so much content to do other than just leveling up characters.
In NTE I log in to do my daily stuff to earn Fons and such. One of the tasks is to spend some daily points and I usually fight a boss to do that. I could just not log in at all, which is where I'm leaning. But there's just not that much else to do right now that interests me, though they just added a salvage event where you ride around on your personal water vehicle and harpoon crates and that was kind of fun.
But yeah I'll probably drift away and then come back in a year or whatever when there's lots of story content I haven't played and I'll approach it the way I now approach WW.
If I had a nickle for every time New World told a story about a woman turning to dark magic to fulfill her obsessive desire for a child, I would have two nickles. Which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice.
ReplyDeleteThe one you played is never revisited to my knowledge. The other, in Weaver's Fen, I think is told only through lore notes rather than a proper quest. It does have a clear conclusion, though.
While I did generally enjoy New World's main story, I do feel like a lot of its little side stories like those are where it really shines. It was always interesting to me the way they explored immortality's effects on the island's residents, and the general weirdness of the setting.