Monday, September 21, 2026

Head In The Clouds

Gaming is weird, isn't it? At one and the same time it's too much and too little. Or maybe that's gamers.

In recent weeks, I've seen people complaining they have too many games to get through, that they're being offered too many games for free, that they've been tempted by deals on games that were too good to miss and now they have a backlog they'll never get through, that too many games are being released all at once, that too many games are being released, period, and that content drops for live service games come faster than they can keep up with them.

Over the same time-frame, I've seen people complaining there's nothing new worth playing, that all we ever get are retreads of old games, that nostalgia-driven retro-gaming is driving out creativity and innovation and that live-service games are stale and static thanks to content droughts.

Obviously, all of these things can be true at once but it's tiring to keep hearing about it. And feeling it. Because I'm suffering from the same mixed emotions about the hobby as everyone else. When the pipeline's flowing, I feel like I'm drowning; when it dries up I suffer from thirst.

All of it's self-imposed, of course. There's no excuse for any of it. Maybe Microsoft was simply acting out a duty of care when they announced XBox Live's new cloud gaming limits of 5, 10 and 15 hours a month. Perhaps they're trying to tell us we all play too many games already.

But, no. It won't be that. They'll be fine with us playing 'til our eyes bleed, provided we do it on our own machines and they don't have to pay for it. They don't care that we're addicted. They just don't want to be the ones running the crack house. 

The Ars Technica article article linked in the Aging Gamer post, which is weirdly the only place I've seen the news at all, it makes it quite clear that cloud gaming, like VR and AR before it, has signally failed to attract any kind of mass-market audience. As the piece points out, Google dropped their Stadia cloud gaming service a few years back and Amazon recently scaled down its Luna service significantly.

Luckily for me, NVidia's still in. My GeForce Now subscription that I took out a few months back has to be one of the best spending choices I've made. I use it every day and it works flawlessly. I hope NVidia don't decide it's too much trouble too because while it lasts, it's saving me a fortune and making my gaming life very much easier.

Backing out of the market for cloud gaming now might be a little premature, anyway. The concept could be on the cusp of fulfilling some of the promises made for it a few years ago, although the reasons why it could be beginning to take off are, ironically, the same as those making it less commercially attractive. 

Hardware costs aren't spiralling so much as sky-rocketing. The insatiable maws of the AI data centers scarf down every available chip, leaving nothing but scraps for everyone else. Running AAA games, at home or in the cloud, is getting expensive.

We could be there a while, too. I've seen estimates that it could take three years for enough new production facilities to come online to meet the unanticipated demand. Even that sounds... optimistic. Fanciful, even. Is there enough raw material available to feed the increased demand, always assuming the will to build these new factories was there?

Maybe it's the beginning of the end for gaming as we've grown up knowing it. Since the 1970s there's been an automatic assumption that kids want consoles in their homes to play their video games. Consoles became handhelds and PCs and all kinds of devices with odd and enigmatic names but no-one ever imagined the flow would end. All those kids grew up and had kids of their own and the family that plays together...

Sure, there've been times when commentators considered whether the latest console generation would be the last but only because they saw games migrating to different platforms and technologies, not because they thought the whole gaming carousel was going to grind to a halt. 

And of course it hasn't and it won't. Gaming's going nowhere. Or, rather, it's going somewhere. But where? And what's it going to look like, when it gets there?

Mobile gaming has been the big success of the last decade and more. It's still growing, too. But smartphones are just as vulnerable to the data center demand as consoles and PCs. It's nice to imagine that, when you can't afford a PC any more, you'll be able to hook your phone to your TV and carry on playing but chances are your phone won't be any cheaper to upgrade or replace than the rest of the tech you can no longer justify buying.

Of course, we all have to have a smartphone now, so if it comes to a choice, well it's no choice at all. But if the phones that can play the AAA games cost the same as the other devices that cost too much, will anyone outside of a self-elected elite be playing? And if AAA gaming becomes a luxury pastime, what kind of developers will that attract? Would you even want to play the games they made, if you could run them?

Oh, I do like a bit of wild, unsupported speculation, once in a while? Don't you? And since I don't do doom-scrolling, it's rare for me to get the opportunity.

I don't really imagine any of this is going to happen. Crappy old machines play most games pretty well and if there really comes a time when regular gamers are priced out of the new PC and Console market, there's going to be a huge boom in refurbished hardware. 

I mean, there's got to be a lot of it around, doesn't there? We're all hoarders when it comes to tech. 

From where I'm sitting I can see three no-longer-used PCs and an old laptop and there's another downstairs. That's after I took three more to the recycling center last year. And don't talk to me about graphics cards. I must have a dozen lying around, going all the way back to the early 2000s. 

I don't own any consoles but I just checked EBay and I could have a working PS4 for well under £100. Gemini tells me that would play Fortnite, Apex Legends and Minecraft as well as thousands of top-rated games from the twenty-teens. I could get by on that. If I had to.

So, yes, maybe a bit of belt-tightening might be in order for a while. And maybe game developers will have to scale down their ambitions and work inside some technical constraints if they want to keep hold of their mass-market appeal. But is that a bad thing? Aren't we always complaining about bloated budgets and broken deadlines and reach exceeding grasp?

Not that I want to go all misty-eyed about the good old days because god forbid but one thing that there was a lot of back in the 'eighties and nineties was innovation. Granted, it's always a lot easier to come up with something new when no-one's been there before you but even factoring that in, the things some people were able to do with a 48k memory, let alone half a gigabyte, were astonishing. 

We're not going back to measuring the footprints of our favorite games in kilobytes but does any game really need to take up hundreds of gigs on your SSD? Assuming you can still afford an SSD, of course. 

Let's take Valheim as an example. Kind of successful, Valheim. Okay, it had a great launch window, what with everyone being trapped at home back in 2021 but it's sold 12m-15m copies in five years, depending which source you believe. Not GTA6 numbers, sure, but solid.

Valheim is less than 5GB. Nearer 4GB in fact. It has low-quality graphics that somehow manage to look exactly right for what it needs. It's a good trick but quite a few games pull it off. Minecraft barely breaks 1GB in a standard installation and that one hasn't done too badly. Fortnite will run on a graphics card I could buy right now on EBay for under £25. 

Looks like we'll be able to carry on gaming after all, then. At least until all the old hardware dries up and breaks down. But that could take a while.

And maybe the games will get smarter and smaller and at least no worse than they are now. Might even be better. Who knows? 

Not to mention there might be fewer of them. Which could be a good thing. Over twenty thousand new games were released on Steam last year. We've almost passed that this year already. How many games can you play in a year? Maybe if there weren't so many, you wouldn't have that backlog...

All of the above is merely me, riffing on something I wasn't even planning to write about today. I was going to go over the latest video from Hotta about the upcoming content drop for Neverness to Everness and that got me started on how much content is too much and then the introduction turned into the post and here we are, or here I am, anyway, wondering if less really might not be more after all.

I'll get to that NTE video another time. It's... interesting. Interesting isn't always a compliment, is it? Meanwhile, I think I might play some video games. While I still can.

2 comments:

  1. So much of the gaming industry is driven less by "this is a new style of game you've never seen before" and more "this game looks better/performs better/has more stuff in it than any game you've seen before", it seems. Not only do hardware makers encourage it, not only do developers who love to develop love pushing the envelope, but many consumers love it as well, talking about benchmarks and pixel-level fidelity and all that.

    So you make an excellent point. But I think it's easier to push the technological envelope and point at it as THE reason why everyone should upgrade their hardware and buy the next iteration of the franchise than it is to come up with something ACTUALLY innovative. Companies can't just DECIDE to innovate or else they'd all be doing it.

    And consumers need to learn to be satisfied more than we are. People have been playing GTA V for YEARS now...do we NEED a GTA VI? I guess Rockstar does if they want to keep the lights on, but people seemed content to keep on keeping on with GTA V until VI was announced.

    I also don't believe in "supporting indies because they're indies", but there will always be that column of solo/small group developers who can't afford to ride the razor's edge of technology, and are putting out games that can run on 5 or even 10 year old hardware. I guess there will always be new stuff even if no one can afford new hardware, so we'll scale back from a fire-hose to a garden hose, and folks will have to deal with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few years back some developer came out and said "There are too many games being published. A person doesn't have time to play 1% of them." or something along those lines. The Internet lost it's head over that; at least my circle of the Internet did. One blogger made a point of proving that you COULD play 1% of them. Of course she played most of that 1% for like 15 minutes each.

    Fast forward a few years and there's no way you can even be AWARE of all the games being published, let alone play them. How many of these developers are losing their shirts after spending a few years making a game and then having 100 people see the game on Steam.

    I do think some kind of reset or pull-back is needed in the short term and right now seems like a good time for that, with hardware so scarce and expensive.

    I may be biased tho because I find new titles less and less interesting and feel pretty content playing mostly older stuff that is either super cheap due to sales, or already in my library. Lately I'm back in Genshin Impact having a blast but looking at probably months of playtime before I could ever 'catch up' on the content.

    PS: I switched to the Brave browser and it won't let me submit comments via my Google account any more. I can't authorize the cookies Blogger needs. In case you wondered why I look different now.

    ReplyDelete

Wider Two Column Modification courtesy of The Blogger Guide