Wednesday, December 27, 2023

Bringing Back The Blog Bounce


Simon Reynolds
has a lot of blogs. Forty-four by my count. The only one I follow is blissblog, which I think might be the primary, if that's an appropriate term. 

Reynolds, of course, is one of the more successful and widely-known music journalists of the millennium, having written for many publications, both print and digital. He's probably even better-known as the author of a number of critically and commercially successful books, like Rip It Up and Start Again and Shock and Awe, both of which I've read and would recommend.

As well as being a professional journalist and writer, however, he's also a high-profile advocate for both blogging and the blog format, which is presumably why the Guardian asked him to write a piece on the topic. I read it this morning, in conjuction with a blog post he wrote that goes into the subject in a kind of granular detail that would no doubt have driven his editor at the Guardian to a frenzy of blue pencil, which does rather make Simon's point about the reason for having a blog in the first place.

Unlike certain bloggers I could mention, Simon doesn't harp on about the supposedly spectacular decline in cultural importance and impact of the long-form, text-centric blog, something I feel is often over-emphasized, particularly by individuals who experienced a personal moment in the sun that's now passed into shadow. Instead, he draws attention to a particular aspect of the hobby, one which he feels has rather sadly declined.

It's a phenomenon he labels "inter-blog communication", a somewhat dry and formal description for the organic, whimsical, occasionally joyous way that an idea sometimes takes hold and runs across numerous blogs like a grass fire. In this I have to agree with Simon that "Blogging has become more of a solitary activity. A blogpost will be sparked by something "out there," or by something within, but rarely in response to another blog. "

He does qualify his observation with "At least, in this particular corner of the 'sphere", by which he's referring specifically to the once-fractious, fizzing collective of music-based blogs. I follow a few of those but I'm not going to pretend I was there when the kind of interactions Simon's missing were a fundemental feature. I suspect that, by the time I started reading music blogs, they were already, as they do seem to be now, inwardly focused and somewhat solipsistic.

The bubble in which this blog floats was originally concerned almost exclusively with gaming, specifically MMORPG gaming. With such a tight focus, perhaps it was always more likely that conversations between blogs would generate spontaneously but there also seemed to be more of a sense of collective responsibility back then.

There was always at least one blogger who'd take it upon themselves to post a round-up of what other blogs were doing, something that strongly promoted traffic between blogs and often encouraged a rolling discussion of topics of the moment, across several posts and numerous comment threads. It's been a while since we had anyone willing to take on that kind of self-imposed responsibility and I can imagine why. It must be a lot of work and the thanks are few. 

It also seems to me that there used to be a significantly higher frequency of sporadic conversations breaking out across blogs, where one blogger posted something, another took it up and a few more joined on behind, all with posts of their own. It does still happen, just not as often. I've been posting here for more than a decade and I think it's hard to argue that inter-blog communication isn't what it was when I started.

I could (But won't.) name the handful of bloggers in my blog roll who can still be relied on to start these kinds of conversations or keep them going, when they flare up. Ironically, I suspect it's the existence of a number of very extensive blog rolls, such as my own or Syp's, that can act as something of a drag anchor on the kinds of to and fro we used to see more often.


Even more ironically, I wonder if the very success of events like Blaugust, as they open out to include not just gaming blogs but blogs, vlogs and personal websites covering everything and anything, end up mitigating against the kind of mutual sharing of ideas that results in flurries of posts on the same topic. In theory, a wider topic pool should generate more opportunities for jumping in but I fear the effect my be just the reverse.

During Blaugust itself there's always an admirable degree of cross-pollination but when the event comes to an end it's not always clear how much of that continues. I know that, after years of joining in with Blaugust, The Newbie Blogger Initiative and other community-driven events, I now have a lot of blogs in my own blog roll that I rarely visit. It's not that I'm not interested in them once the events are over but there's only so much time I can spend reading blogs, particularly given I actually follow quite a lot of other blogs, on subjects that particularly interest me, ones, like Reynolds', that aren't in my blog roll.

In that Guardian piece, Simon says something I find a little paradoxical: "If community persists, it’s on the level of any individual blog’s comment box." This feels both true and untrue. I certainly value my comment thread more than any statistics Google or Blogger can give me but I know from grim, personal experience that commenting on blogs is a lot harder than it ought to be. 

At least three times in the last week I've given up trying to post comments on blogs - after I've written the comments, too - because the technical challenge of getting the comment to register was just too onerous to overcome. It applies equally to Blogger, Wordpress, Tumblr and any of the outlier platforms. All of them seem far more concerned with keeping unwanted comments out than allowing welcome ones in.

The supreme irony in all of this is that, when I wanted to leave a comment on Simon Reynolds' blog, letting him know that his observations on the decline of inter-blog communication had led directly to an example that had even leapt the barrier between blogospheres, and also to point him towards the Blaugust phenomenon, something I thought might interest him, I couldn't find any way to leave a comment on his blog at all! 

As far as I can tell, blissblog doesn't accept comments. I can't speak for his forty-three other blogs...

In essence, though, I think he makes a fair point. Despite the barriers, I think I am more likely now to leave a comment on a thread than I am to write a full-length post of my own, linking back to the blog that inspired it. For example, this morning I left a comment at Time To Loot that I did consider turning into a post here, not least because it seemed as though Naithin was addressing a sufficiently broad and important enough topic to justify a full response.

Instead, I chose to write this, which is at least an example of the kind of communication, the decline of which Simon Reynolds was bemoaning, even if he'll never know about it. 

His article and post have also inspired me to make a New Year's Resolution (Something I rarely do.) I resolve to try and be more mindful in 2024 about taking topic cues from other bloggers. I used to do it without thinking. It's really not that hard.

Of course, if this follows the pattern of most New Year's Resolutions, I'll have forgotten I even made it before January's out. That's why I don't make New Year's Resolutions.

If that happens, do feel free to remind me. 

Or better yet, write a post about it.



A note on AI used in this post.

Both images created by DALL-E 3 via Microsoft Image Creator.

The prompt for both was the same: "Blogging has become more of a solitary activity. New Yorker Cartoon style."

12 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Bhagpuss, I'm not sure why, but early on when setting up Blissblog I elected to not have comments. Perhaps I imagined abuse left by strangers, or just the energy expenditure of replying. But within a few years I realised that was a mistake - seeing the discussions raging on at K-punk and Woebot and other places. However when I tried to reactive Blissblog's comment function, I couldn't. But the other 43 blogs (is it really that many? most are dormant, and a few are collective blogs that I participated in but didn't start or manage) all have comments.

    Enjoyed your post and startled by the illustrations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by! I think a lot of people are cautious about opening their blogs up to comments when they first start - I know I was - but in my case, at least, that fear turned out to be unfounded. Comments are the lifeblood of a blog - or they can be, if you're lucky enough to get any. I just wish blogging platforms would make it easier for people to join in the conversation.

      As for changing things after the blog's been set up, the reason the format of this blog has remained unchanged for a decade is because when I set it up I used a non-standard template that Blogger doesn't much like and I daren't touch anything in case the whole thing breaks!

      The AI-generated illustrations are very much an acquired taste. I find their alien nature both amusing and entertaining but I'm well aware some people detest them. It's my blog, though, so I get the final say :)

      Also, thanks both for the quality reading on your blog and also for the links there to your son's excellent blog, which has in turn introduced me to a whole load of music I'd never have heard otherwise, much of which I really enjoy.

      Delete
  3. You've made an excellent point here. I am guilty of having fallen out with not writing posts in reply to other inspiring posts, or round-up posts from other blogs talking about the same thing I am. I used to do this, and now that you've called attention to it, will try to do this more.

    One thing I do miss from WordPress was the pingback function - it would allow me to know when someone linked to one of my posts in their post, often pushing me to go check out what they were talking about. I can't do much about that given I'm now on a pure HTML site, but it was a handy feature to encourage inter-blogging relations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, is that what pingback does? I always wondered!

      It is odd how this part of the blogosphere has somehow managed to expand in both numbers and topics while at the same time seeming to become more attenuated. You'd think more blogs would make it feel fuller but it seems to have had the oppsite effect. It does vary from time to time but on the whole I do feel it's more like a lot of individual stars than a single constellation, sometimes.

      Delete
  4. Hmm... Simon's article didn't show up in my Guardian UK summary overnight. I wonder why.

    Anyway, I agree that blog posts responding to other blog posts is slowly fading away as blogging is moving in the direction of becoming an insular hobby. That's not to say that it doesn't happen, because there have been plenty of times where you, Wilhelm, Shintar, and others will comment on the same original article or off of one another. However, we all tend to comment on each others' blogs already, so it becomes more of a "if I can't fit it into a single comment, then I'll blog about it".

    And look at me now, commenting on this when I could have written a blog post, but I feel that this comment is "good enough" for me.

    What I miss the most is people having conversations in the comment sections of blog posts, but that requires people actually responding more than once on a single blog posts. And that, alas, seems to have gone the way of the dodo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting observation. I think it's definitely true. When I first started commenting on blogs, I often came back to make futher comments several times, as did plenty of other commenters. It was occasionally a problem when someone (Might have been me...) didn't know when to stop. I think it was partly a carry-over for forum practice, where conversations (Arguments, generally.) could go on for days, frequently ending up with just two or three people haranguing each other.

      Over time, though, etiquette seems to have changed to the point where I actively feel uncomfortable about leaving even a single, follow-up comment unless I really have something new and significant to add to the thread. It's not just me. I hardly ever see to-and-fro conversations in comment threads any more. Maybe that's another thing we should revisit.

      Delete
  5. How nice that Simon found your blog to leave a comment!

    I think as many of the old MMO blogs have evolved in different directions, they've effectively become different species that makes cross-pollination more difficult. I find myself taking more cues from other media that discuss the same subjects as my blogs nowadays, such as YouTube videos or podcasts. I think it's more natural to cluster around a topic than around a format.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I almost asked him how he came to see it but it's probably best left to the imagination.

      Definitely, when most of the blogs I read were focused on MMORPGs, it was a lot easier to bounce ideas off other posts. Even so, I'm pretty sure there are opportunities I'm just passing up in favor of writing solipsistic pieces about my own obsessions. Then again, if you can't indulge yourself on your own blog, what's it for?

      Delete
  6. I think I also disagree with Simon's view that the community, insofar as it exists, exists only within the realm of a single blog's comments.

    Possibly that is more true in some blogging spheres than others, but it certainly hasn't ever been my perception or experience with the WoW, MMO, or gaming more generally blogging spheres.

    A single post and any comments it may evoke seem to me to exist more as a snippit within the grander being that is the particular blogosphere the blog is a part of, as nebulous as that may be as people enter with their own existing links and ties.

    I find bouncing post ideas from other bloggers to not only be one of the more enjoyable ways to blog, but also, purely from a practical point of view -- they're great if your idea tank is running on empty, or heck, even if just missing that necessary kickstart to get going again. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know exactly how lively the conversations used to get in the music-led blogosphere but I get the feeling he's looking back to something I definitely do remember from the MMORPG blog collective of fifteen years ago. It was a significantly different situation both to what we have now and to the kind of cross-linking and post-inspiration you're describing.

      As Redbeard suggests, there used to be a lot more actual discussion, both in series of posts on the same topic by different bloggers but also in ongoing, often lengthy arguments in comment threads. I remember coming back three or four times to make further points in a single thread and I saw other commenters doing it a lot, too. The comment threads of blogs back then felt much more like a continuation of the forums the same people used to discuss games at even greater length. (I just spent ten minutes scanning TAGN posts from fifteen years back to see if my memory was remotely accurate - it kind of is and kind of isn't. I wasn't reading TAGN back then, though, so it doesn't really validate or invalidate what I said. Don't know why I botheed mentioning it...)

      All that aside, I think even in the last few years the decline in those kinds of chain-posts we used to see quite often is hard to miss. There's the odd flurry but nothing like the rolling post train that used to go through every few weeks or so. I feel it's mostly because the general subject matter of the blogs I follow is now much wider and less congruent than it was back then, which is both a blessing and a curse, as Monk would say...

      Delete
    2. Read your reply being going to sleep last night, and have been thinking on it a bit since -- and you're right.

      The post-bounce stuff is one thing, but back in the day, I used to -- and this was nothing exceptional, a lot of people did, it was 'normal' -- to do a round-up of other blog posts found and enjoyed over the week (or month, or whatever other cadence).

      Comment threads could go on a fair bit longer. Something I quickly learnt on my return to blogging this time around, was that one comment and one reply to said comment was the best you should hope for. No one (typically) came back for a further reply.

      I still can't help myself, and will on my own blog at least, reply to any comment dropped even if it is already a reply, but I know 96% of the time that will be end of chain.

      I know, I know, somewhat breaking with tradition here in coming back for a third response on another blog. But I think it's fitting given the subject matter. :)

      The other thing that is missing that I recall is the concept of the preplanned 'Shared topic'. I think it was Twisted Nether, which among its other roles in the blogging community, hosted a forum in which prompts could be suggested, agreed upon, and then posted to a scheduled date.

      Before life got a bit flipped on its head, I'd tried to create some elements of the feelings of these things with the community blogger games and play-alongs (well.. play-along singular so far), but they're definitely quite effort intensive to setup, and keep going, and I got the feeling that at least for now, interest had waned.

      Will have to give some thought to what, if anything, to do. The weekly blog round-up type thing had been on my mind anyway, but the timing just hadn't ever felt right with struggling to get out even a weekly post of my own at this point.

      Perhaps 2024 is the time, though!

      Delete

Wider Two Column Modification courtesy of The Blogger Guide