Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Sounds And Visions - The Return Of IntPiPoMo Plus Some Bangin' Tunes.

I was wondering what I was going to throw together for today's post. It was a work day but since the beginning of August I've always been able to sidestep that by tacking up something from the Pitchfork 25 list whenever I've found myself challenged for time.

For the first couple of months I was enjoying writing those posts so much I was more than happy to double up, write one on the same day as a regular post, then stick it in the draft bank for when I needed it. Then New World came along and that made me much less keen on writing blog posts morning, afternoon and evening. 


Not only that but the higher up the list I got, the harder it became to just freestyle. I started to feel some kind of obligation to do the albums justice, which made writing the posts a lot more intense. I still haven't worked out what I'm going to do about the #1 album, Norman Fucking Rockwell, although I'm tending towards saying nothing, embedding some songs and linking to what other people have said.

It wouldn't be a problem except I'm still on an unbroken run of posts since the end of July, which is both satisfying and annoying. I was thinking about deliberately skipping a day to break the pattern but then I made an arbitrary decision to at least get to the end of October without missing one, which meant I needed something for today.

I thought I'd be able to come up with something. I always have. And I had an early start so I'd be home by five. That ought to give me enough time. If inspiration didn't strike, I had a weak back-up plan to post a music video I watched a couple of days ago that quite amused me. (I said it was weak. The plan, that is, not the song. The song's the opposite of weak. Strong. The song's strong. It's a strong song. I'll stop now.)

It was recommended to me by Sir Elton John. Not personally, which would be a story worth blogging about. You may remember that joke from a previous post, when it featured Boy George in the Sir Elton role. George (I call him George. He doesn't know, obviously. I imagine he wouldn't mind.) introduced me to Let's Eat Grandma, for which I shall always be grateful. 

Both Sir Elton and Boy George (shockingly, yet to be knighted) share my fervent belief that there's always something new to hear. "“I’ve never lost the desire to hear new music,” says Sir Elton, "I’m always on the lookout for new things". 

Me too, although some of them do sound quite a bit like old things, you'd have to say. Still, nothing wrong with that. I don't think Yard Act are going to find a place in my heart like Let's Eat Grandma have but it's a bangin' tune and a great video. Reminds me of the Fall, the Young Knives and Pulp among others although I think it's only the glasses as far as Pulp are concerned.


Still, it was always going to be a but thin, a post based around nothing more than a song I wasn't even going to give the full fanboy treatment. Which is when Chestnut stepped in to save the day. Or the post, anyway.

Yes, it's that time of year! It's back!

IntPiPoMo 2021 logo

I know I buried the lede but that should make up for it. Plus I did put it in the title.

I love IntPiPoMo, not least because it's the only blog event of the year I can guarantee to keep up with at no personal effort whatsoever. Here's how it works, just in case you can't bring the rules to mind:

You post fifty pictures on your blog during November.

And, er, that's it.


Okay, there's a tad more to it than that. Go read Chestnut's post. It explains absolutely everything from the history of the event to the exact requirements.

If you want to take part - and you very definitely should because it's hella fun and there are even prizes - you need to sign up. The link is on Chestnut's blog and it's also here

I've signed up already and I hope plenty of other bloggers will too. It's less of a commitment than Blaugust so if you found that a little challenging this year, don't let it put you off. 

I think that's about all I have to say on the subject for now. And about anything else too.

Let's have another tune and then we'll be off!


I frickin' love that song! And the video. I've been looking for an excuse to post it for months and never found one so here it is with no excuse whatsoever. Go on, tell me I already posted it. I wouldn't be surprised. I know what my memory's like.

Don't care even if I have. It's plenty good enough to post twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wider Two Column Modification courtesy of The Blogger Guide