Friday, February 10, 2023

Back From The Dead

Considering how less than impressed I was by my first impression of the current Steam Next Fest, the standard of the demos I've picked comes as something of a pleasant surprise (Although I'm sure not everyone would agree.) So far, I've played five and had a good time with four of them. The fifth still won't run.

This morning, I spent a very enjoyable seventy-nine minutes with The Black Grimoire: Cursebreaker, described in brief as "A story driven medieval fantasy adventure inspired by oldschool RPGs of the past." Not oldschool RPGs of the future, then. However you choose to express it, here it is again. That familiar phrase or, if you'd rather, compound noun - "oldschool".

Honestly, at this stage, the mere sight of something calling itself "old school" or indeed "oldschool" is enough to make me move on, in search of something new. What is it with the past that we think it's worth revisiting so obsessively? I'm old enough to remember when something being "old", as we called it then, having not yet learned to append an educational qualifier to add gravitas, was the very opposite of a recommendation. Back then, what we wanted was something new; something modern; something up-to-date. 

Ah, but that's oldschool thinking, isn't it? Get with the program, grandad, as the kids used to say, back in the day, another bygone phrase I'm sure no-one under thirty uses in these modern times. 

Hang on. I seem to be caught in some kind of etymological time paradox. Give me a moment...

Okay, that's better. Where was I? Oh, yes, the game...


It's good. Well, what I saw of it in the demo was good, anyway. And there's quite a lot to see. There's a perfunctory and wholly irrelevant character creation process, in which you get to choose the hairstyle and skin color of the predetermined protagonist, one Rothar Aercrest

You can also pick up to four Background Traits from a list of a round dozen, something which seems significant until you get into the game itself, which is when you discover just how fast these skills can be raised. Still, every point helps, I'm sure.

Next up comes the traditional oldschool opening, complete with fantasy/dream sequence, mysterious ghostlike figure and a sense of ominous foreboding. At this stage you'll be able to see the peculiar aesthetic of the game in all its muted, melted glory. I won't attempt to describe it further; just look at the screenshots. 


At first I thought this indicated a lack of polish or an indifference to appearances but I soon realized it meant nothing of the kind. Yes, all the characters look like Plasticine figures left too close to the radiator overnight, but who needs eyebrows, anyway? I quickly grew to appreciate the semi-abstract, almost painterly look of the thing.

The game proper begins with a fairly lengthy sequence in Rothar's castle, where he's entertaining guests and settling disputes in the manner of liege lords from times immemorial. There's absolutely no pressure to get on with the plot. You can take your time to explore the castle's many rooms, most of which are simply stuffed with items you'd be well-advised to tuck away in your backpack or use immediately.


The bookcases contain many tomes that will add points to the traits you already chose and most of the others besides. There are weapons and potions and armor and who knows what-all else. A few minor quests pop up as you explore. I highly recommend completing the one where you give whiskey to a passing mage - and make it your good whiskey, too. I'm not sure how things turn out if you miss that opportunity but I'm guessing not well.

This peaceful interlude also allows you a chance to familiarize yourself with the slightly left-field controls. I found them very comfortable after a few minutes but I must say WASD to rotate the camera, combined with click-to-move seems an idiosyncratic choice.  

After a while you'll make your way downstairs to chat to your guests, whereupon you'll be tasked with making a decision. Surprisingly, I really liked this part. 


The full description on the game's Steam store page boasts "Permanent choices that affect gameplay" and "quests with deep writing". I'm normally all for making the fewest choices possible and having those I do make affect gameplay scarcely at all and I'm deeply suspicious of the literary ability of anyone willing to employ a term like "deep writing" but all my doubts were quickly confounded. The choices did indeed seem meaningful in a readily comprehensible manner and the writing, if not actually "deep", was certainly fluid, competent and skillful.

It shouldn't spoil things too much, I hope, this being a demo after all, to reveal that the outcome of whatever choice you make leads to a big fight. This is where you'll be very glad you let that mage see the inside of your drinks cabinet. Combat at this stage is extremely basic - you don't really have any skills yet, this being an RPG - but it's a bit of a moot point given what happens next.


This really is a spoiler but I don't think we can avoid it. It's basically part of the extended tutorial. Let me not sugar-coat it: you're days of lording it over the locals are over. You can forget about all your wealth and status, your magnificent castle, your beautiful (If low-born.) wife, your snazzy armor and magic weapons. You won't be taking any of that with you into the next part of the game.

That's because, after you keel over on the banqueting-hall floor, following another visitation by the Mysterious Entity, next thing you know it's a hundred years later and a Necromancer has summoned you back from the grave to be his lackey. Yep, you're an undead servant now. Get used to it.

I have to say I like the plot. I'm not saying its original but I am saying it's not one that's been done to death. No pun intended. After a debriefing session with the bastard who brought you back (He's not a nice guy but he doesn't have to be; he's a necromancer. It's in the job description.) it's off to the crypts with you as you search for a) a way out and b) the means of making a potion to save the life of the caretaker your new employer left bleeding out in the graveyard.



Following the "choices matter" paradigm, I imagine there are consequences to saving the guy or letting him die. I chose to save him because I'm like that and also I wanted to find out how alchemy worked. He was suitably grateful and told me to look him up if I ever got to the town where he proposed to hide out from the Necromancer. 

I foresee a conflict of interest there, but it's not going to be resolved in the demo, which concludes when you find your way through the crypt (A few puzzles to solve, many undead to send back to their unquiet graves.). There's a guard stationed at the exit to stop the zombies and skeletons spilling out into the streets but he doesn't seem to notice your undead status. After a brief conversation, he happily lets you pass. Or he did me. Maybe I made another meaningful choice without even realizing.

The Necromancer is waiting to show you to your hideout, a cottage on the edge of town, and after a bit of business with some vagrants who've taken it upon themselves to move in, you find yourself the proud owner of a one-room shack. More importantly, you also now have a fixed respawn point to which you can teleport and a big chest to store stuff in. Which you'll need. My inventory was full long before I got out of the crypt.



Along with a roof over your head, you get a pop-up to say the demo is at an end. Or the story part is, anyway. You can carry on exploring and working on your skills if you want. And you might, at that, because progress carries over, should you buy the full game when it appears, something I would certainly consider doing.

At the very least I'm going to add The Black Grimoire: Cursebreaker to my wishlist. I had a great time playing the demo and as for the story, I'd kind of like to see how things turns out for old Rothar. I'm betting he'll turn the tables on that pesky Necromancer sooner or later. 

Or he will if he makes the right choices...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wider Two Column Modification courtesy of The Blogger Guide