Friday, February 24, 2023

Everything Is Connected


I've never been much of a Douglas Adams fan. I like his stuff well enough. I just don't buy into the cult that's long surrounded him and his work. 

That said, I do have a pretty long history with the man and his material. I was nineteen when the first series of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy aired on BBC Radio 4. At the time I was living alone in my grandparents' house, caretaking it while they were both in hospital, which is a more complicated story than it sounds but I don't have time to go into it here. I remember listening to one of the episodes, sitting in the greenhouse because it was warm there, under glass in the early spring sunshine.

I liked the radio series well enough. I liked the books better. The TV series I recall being somewhat disappointing but I watched it anyway. As a lifelong science fiction fan, I was more interested in the existence of a successful, popular SF comedy series than I was impressed by any of its intrinsic qualities. I thought it was funny but not that funny.

A couple of years after Hitchhikers began, while I was at Cambridge reading English, Douglas Adams came to do a reading at one of the colleges. University was where, among other thing, I learned to avoid public appearances by writers. As entertainment, they tend to be lackluster. It's ironic, then, that readings and signings have been a significant part of my working life for the last quarter of a century. I'd rather work a reading than listen to one, luckily.

Back when I was at college, though, I was still excited at the prospect of seeing famous people up close. Or even not-so-famous people I'd vaguely heard of. I'd seen Ian McEwan reading from his second novel and watched three somewhat superannuated Liverpool poets declaim in a basement. I knew who Douglas Adams was and some people I knew wanted to go, so why not?

I don't remember much about the event other than Adams talked about his time on Dr. Who quite a bit. He might even still have been working on the show. For many years, probably as a result of that experience, I was under the misapprehension that he'd written or script-edited many of the Tom Baker episodes from my favorite era, the time in my adolescence when I used to hurry back home on a Saturday afternoon so as not to miss my one chance to find out what happened next. No catch-up tv then, nor DVD or VHS. As I remember it, the Doctor didn't even get reruns.


 In fact, Adams wrote just three storylines for Dr. Who, only one of which went out under his name. The best-remembered, Shada, didn't even get an airing until forty years later. Adams moved on to environmental activism and gift books about supposedly amusing made-up words and I largely forgot about him and his increasingly idiosyncratic career.

With two exceptions. Adams, like David Bowie, was very alert to the possibilities of new technology and how it drives cultural change. Also like Bowie, he didn't just lend his name and I.P. rights to a video game; he wrote and designed one of his own. The game was called Starship Titanic and I could see the box from where I'm sitting, if there wasn't a filing cabinet in the way.

Starship Titanic came out in 1998 and I bought a used copy not long after. It was easy to come by for cheap. As Wikipedia has it, the game was "released to mixed reviews and was a financial disappointment". I doubt I played it for more than a couple of hours. I remember nothing about it other than I didn't enjoy it. I notice it's now available on Steam, where it enjoys a Very Positive rating, almost entirely courtesy of members of the Cult of Adams, at least judging by the tenor of the reviews I scanned.

A project I much preferred was Adams' final fiction series, "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency". The eponymous first book and its sequel, "The Long Dark Tea-time of the Soul", were published in the late 1980s, which would have been about when I read them. I don't own copies. I believe I would have borrowed them from the library.

I read each of them once and thirty-five years later, unsurprisingly, I remember almost nothing about them, other than that they were even cosier than the rest of Adams oeuvre. The appearance of the expression "Tea-Time" in one title and the protagonist's surname, "Gently", in the other pretty much tell you what to expect.

Or so I remember it. Maybe I'm wrong. Perhaps they were grittier and darker than I'm giving them credit for. I mean, by the same logic, one of them does also have the word "Dark" in it...


Last week I finally got around to watching the BBC America tv show, also called "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency", which has been sitting in my Netflix watchlist pretty much since I got Netflix. I knew absolutely nothing about it. I only put it on watch by dint of name recognition and I only started watching it because, when I got to the end of The Peripheral, I had no new SF/Fantasy drama in the pipeline that looked any better. It was Dirk Gently or Locke and Key.

It also seemed like it would make for some pleasant light relief after the somewhat challenging content of The Peripheral. I was in the mood for some light, humorous whimsy. That wasn't exactly what I got.

I watched the final two episodes of the first season last night. The climax was so compelling I couldn't bring myself to stick to my self-mandated ration of one episode per evening. To front-load my review, I liked just about everything about the show - the writing, the acting, the characters, the plot, the visuals, the pacing... 


I also liked the violence. My god, but it's a violent show. I can't offhand remember when I last watched something with a body count to match. It seems like someone gets shot about once every two minutes, on average, although admittedly that average is stacked by the times thirty or forty people get shot in a matter of seconds.

People also get electrocuted, harpooned, set on fire and bitten in half by sharks. When they don't get killed they get locked in the trunks of cars, handcuffed to bedsteads, bludgeoned with baseball bats and dropped off bridges. If anything in the least little bit like that happened in the Douglas Adams original, I definitely don't remember it but even if it did, I think it's safe to say it didn't happen this often.

I'm not, by and large, much of an aficionado of screen violence but I have read a lot of comic books and the show has all the impact of a really good comic. As well as being relentless, the violence is both gory and clean. There's a lot of blood but absolutely no guts. No-one thrashes or writhes or even screams much. They get shot and then they die.

It's not just the violence that reminds me of reading a top-notch superhero comic book. The characters are all tropes or types, with just enough depth to make them feel like actual people but none of the wearing contradictions of serious literature. Everyone has a signature look or move or style that might as well come with a theme tune. I found myself eagerly waiting for the next appearance by my favorites just for the fun of watching them do their thing.

The plot, which involves time travel, makes as much or as little sense as any time travel plot ever has but there are some great verbal set pieces towards the end where the characters really lean into it for everything it's worth. As with most shows I really enjoy, almost all the characters are likeable. Even the villains, truly despicable though they are, come across as oddly lovable at times.

The main villain, just to make that point, really loves his dog. Inevitably, it's a corgi. I have now seen so many corgis in so many shows I can almost not think of them as "those ugly dogs the Queen used to like". There's a kitten too. Neither the dog nor the cat are just a dog or a cat but I won't say what they are because spoilers.

The season ends with a massive cliffhanger, the exact one I was expecting. Fortunately, since the show first aired in 2016, we can skip all the "will they, won't they" over whether they'll get a second season. They did, although they didn't get a third. 

I'm going to start watching Season Two tonight. Can't wait. I highly recommend anyone who hasn't already done so to give the show a try. It definitely won't be to everyone's taste but it was a very great deal more to mine than anything else that's ever had Douglas Adams' name attached to it.

10 comments:

  1. Funnily enough, I just finished my rewatch of the Dirk Gently series last night. I'd previously only watched it once back when it was new.

    Unlike you, I am a massive Douglas Adams fan (count me as a card-carrying member of "the cult"), and I almost gave up on the show after the first couple of episodes because it was so wildly different than the books. A bout of extreme boredom led me to give it another chance, and I'm glad I did, because I did come to love it for what it is.

    Pretty much everything else is different, but the one common thread between the books and the show is that same sense of finding order in chaos. In both versions, the story begins with an absolute barrage of seemingly nonsensical strangeness, only for everything to eventually come together and make a kind of sense. I find it deeply fascinating.

    I enjoyed the first season, but I found the second season to be where it really hit its stride, so while tastes may vary, I'd say the best is yet to come for you. Also, without any specific spoilers, I will say that it does end on a mostly satisfying note, in case you were worried about that. The second season's ending wasn't written to also be the conclusion of the series, but it works fairly well for the purpose all things considered.

    I hesitate to even inflict this knowledge upon you, but my joy during the rewatch was somewhat tempered by the revelation some years ago that the show's creator and lead writer was an absolutely abhorrent person (I'll leave it to you if you want to read up the details of his crimes). Something something separate the art from the artist, I suppose. At least with the show cancelled there's no moral quandry over watching it. The dude's career is dead and buried, and watching his work does nothing to help him now.

    It does leave me with mixed feelings, though. It's bizarre to think that such a beautiful piece of art came from such an ugly person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole artist/work dichotomy is one huge can of worms right now. I haven't even begun to work out how to navigate it. (Navigate a can of worms? Blasted metaphors.) Thanks for mentioning it, though. I know absolutely nothing about the show other than what I said in the post and that it follows on from another version starring Steven Mangan, which I would also like to catch up with at some point. I think I'll watch Season 2 and then read up on whoever it is your referring to. I want to know but I'd rather not know until later!

      I'm not at all surprised you reacted against it initially as a fan of the original. I wondered about that right from the start since it seemed so radically different from what I remembered but I couldn't be certain just how different it really was because my memories were so vague to begion with. I certainly don't associate Adams with this level of hyperkinetic violence, but the plotting seemed very appropriate and the humor fairly similar, although considerably more to my taste than Adams's, which I always find labors the point somewhat.

      Delete
  2. I love the first season - not knowing anything about it before seeing it - but was disappointed by the second one that look tame vs the crazyness of the first one. More standard super hero stuff, less different than everything else.
    For readers : if you are a bit rational - like me- you can find the first episode of season 1 a bit off-putting by its non-sense - I would have stopped here if not for my wife. Push through the first two episode you will not regret it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched the first episode of Season Two last night and almost the first thing I noticed was the way it seemed to have turned into a superhero show. Of course, as a lifelong superhero fan, that isn't going to present much of a problem for me but I can see how it's going to change the overall tone.

      Delete
  3. I thought the first Hitchhiker's Guide (the first one) was brilliant, the other two merely quite good. Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and Long Dark Teatime of the Soul I only remember thinking were pretty good, but like you I can't remember a single thing that happens in either of them. However those are absolutely two of the most lyrical and evocative book titles I can think of. They fill me with an odd joy.

    Starship Titanic was a well above average text adventure game as I recall. The descriptions of the areas you could wander around in were unusually detailed. The problem with it is that it was still a text adventure game, with all the confusing and arbitrary design decisions they always seemed to entail. I made it further than I did in most of them, but never anywhere near the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are great titles. Adams was very good on titles in general. I think my problem with him comes from something I mentioned in my reply to Tyler above and which you mention in your comment - he does go on a bit. "Unusually detailed" could be a polite way of saying "long-winded". Then again, I'm a fine one to talk...

      Delete
  4. As I recall, one of the inciting incidents of the first book is that someone appearing to be a monk bursts out of the trunk of a car with a shotgun and murders someone, and one of the inciting incidents of the second is that a man is decapitated with his head placed on a spinning turntable and Dirk is called in to explain to the police how this was clearly a elaborate suicide.

    It's not NONSTOP violence, but there's some in there.

    Never seen the show, it's on the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I need to read the books again, if only to make a comparison. Even with promptsd like yours absolutely nothing is coming back to me.

      Delete
  5. I was on the fence regarding watching this, not because of what it is (I, too, liked the books well enough, it's been a long time though), but because I have so much other stuff to watch already.

    It's definitely on my to-watch list now, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I was very surprised by how much I enjoyed it, having really not been all that interested, going in.

      Delete

Wider Two Column Modification courtesy of The Blogger Guide