Monday, May 15, 2023

Wash That Stain Away - The AI Way!


Back in January last year, when we first heard the surprising news that Microsoft wanted to buy Activision-Blizzard, certain voices suggested the deal might be closed by that summer. Mostly, though, the feeling seemed to be that it would be wrapped up by the end of the following financial year.

It's taking a bit longer than that. The deal is still up in the air more than fifteen months later. I confess to finding the whole process largely mystifying. Angry Onions tried to explain to me in the comment thread to a post over at TAGN, why so many national and regional authorities get to have a say in whether two commercial entities can merge. I understood his reasoning but I'm still somewhat hazy on what supranational mechanism could stop them if they wanted to do it anyway.

Polygon has an excellent, lucid and understandable timeline of progress to date, in which it's stated that "...the Competition and Markets Authority — unlike the FTC in the U.S. — still has the legal power to stop the merger from happening." Exactly how or why a regulatory authority in the United Kingdom should be able to derail a process involving two multinationals of American origin, while the American authorities themselves are apparently powerless to do so without the help of the courts is, I fear, something I'd probably have needed to study either law or economics at University, rather than English, to understand. 

Because I now seem to be incapable of thinking of a question without immediately feeling the need to Ask an AI (Great Gameshow idea there...) as soon as I finished typing that last paragraph I ran the problem past Bard, who gave me a very clear and unequivocal reply.

 I asked

If the CMA continues to block the proposed Microsoft acquisition of Activision-Blizzard, but all other relevant regulators approve it, can the deal go through?

Bard replied

"No, the deal cannot go through if the CMA continues to block it. The CMA is one of the regulators that must approve the deal, and its decision is final. If the CMA blocks the deal, it will not be able to go through, even if all other regulators approve it."

I didn't ask Bard for any background information but Bard really likes the sound of its own voice. It's like one of those annoying people you meet at bus stops who, when you ask them when  the bus is due, insist on telling you the entire history of public transport all the way back to the introduction of the steam-powered omnibus in 1833. (I googled that, just so you know it's not the sort of information I keep in my head.)

As Bard explains it

"The CMA is concerned that the deal would give Microsoft too much power in the cloud gaming market. Microsoft already has a strong position in the console gaming market, and the CMA is worried that it could use its power to stifle competition in the cloud gaming market.

Microsoft has tried to address the CMA's concerns by offering to license Activision games to competing cloud gaming platforms. However, the CMA has not been persuaded by this offer.

Microsoft has said that it is considering appealing the CMA's decision. However, it is not clear whether an appeal would be successful."

Not content with merely contextualizing, Bard then began to extemporize, shifting to the conditional to suggest some possible ramifications:

"If the deal is blocked, it would be a major setback for Microsoft. The acquisition of Activision Blizzard would have given Microsoft a major boost in the gaming industry. It would have also given Microsoft a significant foothold in the cloud gaming market."

Finally, in a move that both surprised and mildly disturbed me, Bard expressed what seems very much like an unprompted, personal opinion:

"The blocking of the deal would also be a setback for the gaming industry as a whole. The acquisition of Activision Blizzard would have created a more competitive gaming industry. It would have also given gamers more choices."

Would it, though? Are we sure about that? I mean, I might have expected something of the kind from Microsoft's Bing, given the issues involved, but from Google's pet AI?

If AIs are going to start acting as though they have opinions and personalities, it's going to open up whole new vistas of possibilities, not all of them appealing. Think of the possible PR disasters when AI-generated celebrities make public appearances! Surely one of the biggest attractions of artificial artists for their handlers is tractability? Reliability? Innocuousness? Okay, that's three attractions but you get the idea.
 If I'd authorised and paid a lot of money for an AI pop star, I'd like to think I could rely on them not to, oh, let's say, picking something purely at random, find themselves arraigned for imaginary acts of "public lewdness" or "firearm possession and assault", even if it was only in the court of public opinion. Then again, maybe it wouldn't be so terrible...
 
Those incidents, traumatic and embarrassing as they may have seemed for the stars involved at the time, became turning points in their lives and careers. As a direct result, George came out and continued to be a much-loved entertainer until his untimely death, while Adam received the help he needed with his mental health issues and returned to being... well, Adam Ant. It's still fine to like George Michael and about as fine as it ever was to like Adam Ant, who is, after all, the man who wrote both "Whip in my Valise" and "Goody Two Shoes", two wildly contradictory accounts of what has been widely assumed to be one life - his own.
 
Things don't always turn out that well, sadly. I'm sure we can all compile our own lists of artists, performers, entertainers, writers and musicians, the mere mention of whose name in polite conversation would be considered in the poorest of taste. To speak approvingly of their work would be positively unthinkable. 

Simon Reynolds posted a fine meditation on the way even the chance of learning something unsettling about one of your favorite artists makes searching for information about them a fraught process. It's a problem I run into almost every time I compile another music post. 
 
In the piece, Reynolds refers to a recently-published book on the subject; Monsters: A Fan's Dilemma by Claire Dederer. The book has four and a half stars on Amazon but it was rather poorly received by the Guardian's reviewer Rachel Cook, who called it "thin", "ill-researched" and "crude". I have a proof copy but I've yet to start on it so I'll reserve judgment. I will say I'm looking forward to reading it, though.

The core problem both the book and Simon's post address is whether, once you know awful things about awful people, it's possible to go on enjoying their not-at-all-awful work. And if it is possible, is it advisable? Or even permissible?

I am not going to answer that question here. Obviously. I'm not God. Or your spiritual adviser. Or your mother. Neither am I going to express a conviction or even, really, much of an opinion. What I am going to do is ask some more questions. Helpful, aren't I?

We might appear to have strayed some distance from the ostensible topic of this post, the Microsoft/Blizzard story, but trust me; there's a connection. Like many would-be consumers of Blizzard's not-all-that-varied portfolio of games, the revelations of the last few years have put something of a crimp in my willingness to participate, due to not wanting to be seen to be complicit. Put simply, I'd quite like to play World of Warcraft once in a while but I don't want to look like any more of a hypocrite than I usually do. I said I wouldn't play WoW until something changed and as far as I can see, nothing has.

I was rather counting on the Microsoft acquisition to draw a line under the acts of the old regime and allow me to at least imagine a fresh page had been turned. It's a fairly flimsy fig-leaf, given many of the purported perpetrators are probably still sitting at the same desks but I was raised as a Quaker and the concept of forgiveness, not to mention turning the other cheek, is a hard one to erase.

All of which leaves me wondering both where I'll be, morally, if the deal falls through and how, specifically, it will affect me in the future as a potential Blizzard customer living in the legal jurisdiction that derailed the whole thing. If I was Bobby Kotick (Euuuu!) I'd be tempted to cut the pipe to the U.K. and carry on without us. Can he do that? 

There's another aspect to all of this that occured to me while I was trying to find an AI model of Lana del Rey so I could hear what it would be like if she were to cover some of my favorite songs by people she's probably never heard of, let alone heard. Or even by me (Same thing, obviously.). I found myself wondering exactly where the fault-line of corruption lies.

Simon Reynolds uses the word "stain" to describe the way the misdeeds of a creator seep back through the timeline to discolor even the work they made before they did the things we revile them for now. He muses on how far back you'd need to go before listening to Michael Jackson might feel comfortable again; "In the aftermath of watching Leaving Neverland, I found myself speculating pointlessly: "well, probably he wasn’t abusing anyone circa Off The Wall. "  Thriller – hmmm.... gets a bit cloudier."

He doesn't mention it but there's another element to consider: how about cover versions? Hardly anyone is willing to admit to listening to Gary Glitter after the things he's done but damn, Rock `n` Roll Part 1  is still thrilling half a century later, isn't it? If we can't enjoy the original, what about the version The Undertones recorded for John Peel in 1980? 

Does running a song through the filter of another artist wash out that stain? Or does it just spread the taint to whoever was thoughtless enough to cover a monster in the first place? Does it make a difference if the cover was recorded before or after the news broke?

It's complicated but I can make it more so if you want. Sticking just to front-persons for a moment (The question of whether the drummer's indiscretions invalidate the reputation of the entire band being another difficult-to-parse moral poser.) what if you could replace the offending singer with an artificially generated artist of your choosing? Okay, maybe Rock 'n' Roll Pt 1 wouldn't be the best example, what with Gary contributing not much more than the occasional "Hey!", but if you were to strip his vocals out of, say, I'm The Leader of the Gang (I Am), and replace them with Freddy Mercury, who everyone loves...?
 
Tricky, isn't it? Especially when you factor in the moral quandaries over whether it's acceptable to have one artist cover another without the participation or even the consent of either. 

You can project this into gaming if you like feeling uncomfortable with all your choices. Getting back to Blizzard, if I were to try to sidestep my moral misgivings by signing up to a rogue server running a version of current content, assuming there are any, would I be clear of complicity because none of my time or money would benefit Blizzard? Better yet, maybe the sheer illegality of it would even count as an active strike against the evil empire itself! Let's stick it to The Man, right?

Or would I still be mired in moral misgivings by dint of my continuing enjoyment  of assets and concepts originally created under the same regime I purport to despise? At what remove does something become clean enough for the stain not to show any more? I mean, I drink Fanta sometimes. Doesn't make me a Nazi, does it?
 
Damn. I hit Godwin's law! Time to stop.

9 comments:

  1. Oh, this is a fascinating topic and one that can require bravery and a willingness to devote a lot of time to defending one's position.

    Suffice to say that I was hoping the Activision acquisition would go through because these days Microsoft seems a lot more concerned with its reputation than Activision does, and I was hoping they'd clean house. I also decided not to play ActiBlizz games until something changed and agree with you that nothing seems to have changed.

    But casting the net wider... it's hard, isn't it? I grew up listening to Bill Cosby albums (comedy routines delivered via lp) and I LOVED them. Of course no one knew then the kinds of horrific things Cosby was doing to women. And today I would not watch a Cosby show or buy a Cosby album (if either of these things was even possible) but sometimes a bit from one of those albums bubbles up in my memory and I smile or chuckle about it. And then I feel a twinge of guilt. Brains are weird.

    More recently there was the Hogwart's Legacy situation. In this case, I wouldn't think twice about buying Hogwart's Legacy if I was in need of a new game. That makes me a terrible person in the eyes of some. I have a lot of reasons for this, some more defensible than others, I guess. The biggest is that JKR is so filthy rich that the success or failure of Hogwarts Legacy probably doesn't nudge her economic needle much, but the same can't be said for the developers who made the game; a game that was started before JKR started spouting off her unpopular opinions.

    I find it strange that there are people who defend playing Blizzard games because they are "supporting the devs who work there" on the one hand, while on the other hand are sharing that they think poorly of anyone who would purchase Hogwarts. I guess Avalanche Software's devs don't matter as much as Blizzards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a touchy subject I hesitated to bring it up at all but so many things seem to be affected by it's hard to ignore. I'm not even going to pretend I've formulated a consistent position yet. Maybe I never will. It's not just that the whole thing is so complex, it's also the unavoidable involvement of personal experience, memory and the internal hierarchies of what is and is not acceptable we all keep constantly and largely unconsciously updating.

      Speaking for myself, I very rarely have any kind of visceral reaction against someone or something I used to like, when something awful gets revealed. It's more like whatever it is goes from being a well-worn, cotton T-shirt to one that's been washed in some kind of detergent that makes my skin itch. Aaand... that's a terrible analogy. What I mean is I don't feel quite comfortable with it any more, even though to all intents and purposes it appears to look the same and fulfil the same function.

      To push a bad metaphor even further, sometimes a further rinse or two makes it feel comfortable again but sometimes the material just feels scratchier and more unpleasant as time goes on and there's nothing to do but throw it away. And that's enough metaphysical laundry for one comment.

      The J.K. Rowling situation is fraught with problems. For a start, as you say, she's richer than god already so what conceivable harm does a boycott do her? Added to that, it's not much of a boycott when the result is the game selling 256% more copies than the developers anticipated. JK will be lauging her stripey socks off, I'm sure.

      Personally, I wouldn't buy it because of the well-rehearsed issues with some of the things she's said. Luckily for me, I don't especially like Harry Potter, which I don't think is very good in most of its incarnations regardless of those issues, so what I think isn't material. I was talking to someone at work about Rowling and her many inflammatory statements on gender politics and we agreed that it's not so much what she says as the intensely aggressive, hostile and sneery way she chooses to express herself. Other people have said similar things in a more nuanced fashion and received far less pushback. You can't help but thinking she's looking for a fight which, given her status and wealth, smacks of bullying.

      Anyway, getting too long for a comment, as usual...

      Delete
  2. This is not a new phenomenon. After all, look at Wagner and his, shall we say, opinions about Jews and the appropriation of his music by ol' Adolph. The older I get, the more I realize that maintaining some sort of purity about removing works by people who turn out to be problematic is going to be difficult indeed. The old The Dark Knight line about living long enough to become the villain is very much a thing, and people who insist they are able to exorcise people who have done vile things and remove their creations from the canon are basically setting themselves up for disappointment.

    Think of all the works by the Classical Greeks, whose opinions of relationships between men and boys are, to put it mildly, no longer on the hit parade. Or those people who disapprove of Huckleberry Finn because of the language contained therein. Or, god forbid, their reaction to a David Mamet play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's a wonder there's anything to watch or read or listen to at all, isn't it? I think it's a lot more problematic when the person involved is still alive and talking, though. Once they're dead they can be fitted more easily and conveniently into historical context but while they're still out there, giving interviews, it's impossible to give them the benefit of that kind of perspective.

      Delete
    2. That reminds me, I saw the Michael Jackson artwork and the first thing that popped into my head was "is that Michael Jackson or James Brown? Or some weird amalgamation of both?" And speaking of problematic people, James Brown is a bit of a doozy as well, given his proclivity for domestic abuse.

      Delete
  3. I think it does matter somewhat whether or not the creator is still around to be validated/vindicated by commercial and critical success. It's not just money - am I lending them cultural power and relevance by engaging with the creation? Assuming I have an interest in HP in the first place, if I buy Hogwarts Legacy I'll probably end up talking to friends about it, commenting on gaming blogs about it, contributing to the stats, and feeding into the overall sense that JKR's creation is still embraced despite her continuing misdeeds and the implication that this must mean the misdeeds aren't so important. When, of course, I think they are, and she's on the wrong side of the main civil rights fight of my times.

    My contribution would be laughably minuscule, but one has to be Kantian about it. The world is made up of these tiny contributions - if not I, then who, etc. Diffusion of responsibility is a false and treacherous solace.

    Meanwhile, having raucous fun with the Cthulhu Mythos, despite Lovecraft being arguably a worse person even than JKR, kind of doesn't matter. The world has moved past him, to the point where his kind of overt, passionate racism and anti-Semitism has been relegated to the fringes. Thank the stars, his ghost isn't tweeting or donating to neo-Nazi causes.

    Blizz is a tough middle ground. I've been jonesing for its games from time to time, and kind of hoping against hope that the MS purchase will come with some tangible signs of better oversight so all that stuff can't happen again and I have an excuse to play them. But I can feel in my bones how cheap that logic is. And it's not like a Blizzard purged of sex pests wouldn't act exactly the same in, say, a rerun of the Blitzchung affair. (Though I wonder if in the current climate they'd have the balls to silence/ban an e-sports champion making a similar statement about Ukraine.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole Harry Potter/JKR affair needs a post of its own but I'm not going to be the one to write it. My personal relationship with HP phenomenon is too specific and too weak for the real difficulties in deciding whether or not to engage with the continuing product releases under the IP meaningful.

      I read the seven HP books approximately as they were published but I never paid for any of them - I got them all free at work, mostly damaged copies being written off or freebies sent by the publisher at publication. I wouldn't have paid for any of them. The phenomenon was a significant event in my life but only from the perspective of a bookseller. I remember it as a time when we opened the shop at midnight and when some of my colleagues dressed up and we once had an owl in the shop. I didn't work any of the events or dress up and no-one asked me to so it was just something that happened around me. I was in my 40s and 50s so I didn't grow up with the books. I had step-children but they weren't interested in them either. I've never seen any of the movies.

      Consequently, any non-participatory action I might take would be purely notional. I was never going to participate anyway. On the other hand, I do recognize that, for a lot of people, it's a very meaningful choice, especially when it's being prompted by what must seem like a betrayal by a trusted friend. A lot of the same people who are currently having to chose sides over this must have felt both embraced and enfranchised by the HP universe as they grew up and to have its creator not only disown them but do so in such a harsh and unempethaic fashin has to be traumatic.

      Anyway, yet again I seem to be writing a post in a comment - and a post I said i wouldn't be writing at all - so I'll stop.

      Delete
  4. I always try to separate the beauty of the work of art from the base humanity of the artist.

    So, for instance, Caravaggio, Degas, Gauguin produced paintings that surpass their odious personalities.

    I don't dismiss the acting of Tom Cruise and John Travolta on the basis of their weird religion, though I have heard of some people who do (as an atheist, I would not have many works of art to admire if I disapproved of works by cultists).

    Artists who are criminals are punished by the courts. Their art is not criminal. Artists who have opinions that I don't approve of, I don't care about their opinion it is the work of art, not the imperfect human, that I admire.

    Don't beat yourself up over the personalities of artists. You don't care about your train driver's opinions. You just want him to drive safely. I don't care about the idiotic opinions some artists may hold. I just care about the art. For me, it's beauty is unstained.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Separating the art from the artist is a very supportable intellectual position with a well-established academic history but it doesn't help much if the response you're having is an emotional one.

      The train driver analogy is very instructive, too. The thing about your train driver is you don't - and will never - know any of his thoughts or opinions. He'll be up there, sealed in his cab, most likely invisible and certainly inaudible. He might as well be part of the machine. You absolutely can discount him and just get on with your journey.

      When you walk out of the station at the other end, though, and get into a taxi, you may well be forced to listen to and learn the opinions of your taxi-driver. If you find them objectionable, that will force you into a position either of silent complicity or vocal opposition. You may have to decide whether to actively remove yourself from his presence by ending the journey early and you'll almost certainly make sure you don't get into a cab driven by this particular driver again.

      So long as the life of the artist remains hermetically sealed in a separate bubble from the art by dint of you never having learned anything about it, it's like the train driver but as soon as you happen across interviews or biographical material, it's like the taxi-driver. Some people can easily tune out the chatter but for others it becomes unbearable. For me, it depends on how loud and insistent it is and, of course, on the specifics. I can't get outraged over everything but, like most people, I have my triggers. Tom Cruise's belief in religion made up by a third-rate SF just amuses me, for example, but JK Rowling using her wealth and influence to try to move the agenda in the direction she thinks it ought to be going irritates me sufficiently not to want to contribute in any way to the consolidation of her power and position. Not, obviously, that she knows or cares or that my non-participation in something I wasn't going to participate in anyway has the least, material effect, but it makes me feel more comfortable, which is the solipsistic point.

      Anyway, in the end the art, good or bad, high or low, is there and the artist, after a while, is not. Then it becomes history, I guess, and that's another problem entirely.

      Delete

Wider Two Column Modification courtesy of The Blogger Guide