Wednesday, May 3, 2023

I Went To The Seaside And All I Got You Was This Dumb Post

I wasn't going to post at all today because Mrs Bhagpuss and I went to the seaside with Beryl so time was short when we got back. Well, I say seaside... for strict journalistic accuracy, I guess I should make that estuary. The real sea is just a tad too far from where we live for a comfortable day trip with a small dog. 

Still, the Victorians apparently didn't care much for the difference, since they built a very nice little town where the river widens out and goes tidal. There's a lovely walk along the headland, a promenade, a pier, some nice pebble beaches and plenty of rock pools for Beryl to paddle in, so who's counting?

As I said, I didn't think I'd have time for a post but it occurred to me I had a couple or three odds and ends I'd wanted to fit in somewhere and this seemed like as good an opportunity as I was going to get, so here we are. It might be Wednesday but it's Friday in my mind... or something like that. 

AI Predicts The Future!

First up, that Glastonbury Festival Emerging Talent Competition. A few weeks back I posted about it in somewhat desultory fashion at the end of a piece about Google's AI chatbot, Bard. I wasn't very excited by any of the shortlist so I asked Bard "Who do you think will win and why?". 

Somewhat to my surprise, Bard had a very definite opinion, predicting, with some confidence, "I think that N’famady Kouyaté has a strong chance of winning." The result of the Battle of the Bands final, as reported by NME, although apparently not on the Glasto official site itself, as far as I can see, was announced yesterday. Guess who won?

Yep. Got it in one: N’famady Kouyaté.

Now, to be fair, I also had the balofonist down as the likely winner before I even asked Bard but even so... I wonder if Bard picks lottery numbers? 

We Mean It In A Loving Way!

In another callback to an earlier post, here's a video I meant to share a while ago but never found a suitable slot for. Oh, alright then, I forgot all about it. Happy now?

I thought it was funny but I guess you'd have to know the show. I wonder how much crossover there actually was, at the time it was originally broadcast, between the short-lived, cult TV series and people who actually play tabletop roleplaying games? I mean, it's not like D&D plays the same central of role in Freaks and Geeks that it does in Stranger Things. It's more of a bolt-on towards the end.

While I'm on the subject, I don't believe I've seen a single review of Honor Among Thieves anywhere in this part of the blogosphere. Did I miss someone's take on it or has no-one really had anything to say? Surely people must have seen it by now. I'd have thought a big-budget, critically-acclaimed, commercially successful movie based on a core component of our collective hobby might have triggered at least some kind of response. Then again, I haven't seen it and I think this is probably the first time I've mentioned it, so I can hardly talk, can I? 

And That's A Wrap!

Since TV's come up, here's another news story I spotted that I thought might be worth a note. It finally occurred to me that the third season of Stargirl hadn't turned up on Prime, so I did some googling and found it isn't going to happen. The Prime thing, that is. The third season of Stargirl, that's done. It's been and gone.

Why Prime isn't showing Season 3, when they showed 1 & 2 is anyone's guess. Well, money, I suppose. I'll have to watch it on DVD, which is fine. I'd like a hard copy to keep. I'd get the box of all three seasons, if they did one, which they don't. Whoever they are.

At least I know there isn't going to be a fourth season. The show's been cancelled. In an unusual move, though, two separate endings to Season 3 were shot; one for if they got renewed and one for if they didn't. It means the final season has a proper ending, for once.

I believe we were talking about that a while back. It seems like something showrunners and writers maybe ought to be considering as default option these days, although I guess it would be weird for the cast to shoot alternate endings for every season. Kind of like a recurring premonition of their own doom. 

It wouldn't be that hard to do, though. Most shows I can think of would be pretty easy to wrap up at the end of most seasons because what tends to happen is they tie a neat bow around the season arc anyway, then stick a foreboding cliffhanger on the end of that. Just crop it a bit and don't screen the lead-in to the series you didn't get. 

It Didn't Look Like This In The Shop!

And finally, I made BFF status with the latest on my Phantom hit-list, Urian. It happened a bit faster than I was expecting because I had a bit of luck with the latest event, the generically-named Fireworks Celebration, which is giving away handfuls of Ornate Gift Boxes, each worth a thousand points of Affection.


My glee was short-lived when I made the damn dress and put it on. I was - not unreasonably, I think - expecting it to look identical to the outfit Urian herself wears. The ones I got from Jenny, Johanne and Ave do. 

Unfortunately, whereas Urian's original is made of silk, the reproduction seems to be more like taffeta. It looks stiff and uncomfortable instead of free-flowing and instead of billowing, the long train sticks out to one side like a wonky bustle. It's not awful but it's not what I was expecting. 

I haven't decided whose look to appropriate next. I'll have to think a little more carefully about what the outfit's going to look like on my character, this time. Probably should have been doing that all along...

In other Noah's Heart news, there was another server merge recently. I didn't check who merged with whom but I'm guessing my server was the recipient because it seemed fairly busy before. Now it's busier still. 

How many more merges there'll be before the game goes dark I wouldn't like to say. Noah's Heart has such a minimal web presence I have to assume it's not going to be around for long. I hope it at least makes it to the first anniversary. I'd love to be able to say I played every day for a year straight.

And that's all I have for today. Let's be honest - it's a lot more than I thought I had!

1 comment:

  1. Let me know how the lottery numbers work out. I won't blab if you win!

    ReplyDelete

Wider Two Column Modification courtesy of The Blogger Guide